Prone to Keloids: Can I Still Have a Tummy Tuck? Is There an Injection to Combat Keloids?

Keloiud scarring

+1
Keloids can happen and if you have a history of keloids your chances are greater you will get one.They can be treated with injections as well as soem post op radiation.But not all areas of the body heal the same.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Keloid skin

+1

There's different options out there in order to treat keloid scarring after surgery. Talk to you PS for his response.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and tummy tuck

+1
It is possible you do not true keloids - many thick scars are called keloids.
To find out, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to examine both what you think are keloids and your tummy.
If you have true keloids, a tummy tuck can be done but the risk of a keloid is high.
High dose steroids, taping, silicone sheets and later radiation + scar revision may be needed to treat it.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Keloids

+1
Hello 

if you think that you are prone to keloids then there is always a high chance to form keloids at the site of the tummy tuck incision. As you probably already know, there is not one good method to prevent keloids from forming. What I have used is injecting steroids at the incision site, using silicone strips and in extreme cases I have consulted with a radiation specialist so that the patient can have a small subtherapeutic dose of radiation in the hopes that the three modalities will reduce the chances of a keloid. Having said all that you should know that same methods to help prevent keloids from occurring could cause healing issues at the tummy tuck incision. I hope that helped shed some light on your situation. Please seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon because wound healing and wound care is part of the training of a plastic surgeon. Best of luck

Rami Ghurani, MD

Keloids and injections

+1
Operating on patients with a genetic predisposition to keloid can be difficult.  While the risk of keloid must be discussed with the patient, the actual possibility of keloid scar occurrence cannot really be estimated unless a similar scar is seen near the intended surgical areas.  Certain surgical areas have a higher keloid risk.  For instance, surgical scars over the sternum or shoulder have a far higher keloid risk than on the abdomen or groin.

Once a keloid starts to form, or if a keloid has been excised, there are certain therapies that tend to help reduce keloid formation, or at least make the keloids less severe.

Injecting steroids or 5 FU (Fluorouracil) can help with some keloids.  Recurrent keloids, especially those on the ears, I consider sending for radiation therapy post op.  I do not typically recommend radiation therapy for any abdominal keloids though.

Patients should see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to fully be evaluated for (and adequately discuss) any keloid risk.

Joshua Lampert, MD