What is Your Recommendations for Cat Scratch on Upper Lip on Toddler? Injury Occurred 3 Weeks Ago. (photo)

3 weeks ago, my toddler was scratched by a cat on the upper lip. We immediately took her to a plastic surgeon who advised against sutures because he feared it could become infected. It's been healing on its own. It's been almost 3 weeks and it's a deep red color. It is not raised. He wants us to return in 6 weeks to evaluate again and said we could do scar revision as a teen. I use Mederma and sunblock religiously. Does it appear as if it's healing as it should? Please advise.

Pulsed dye laser for lip scars

+1

The upper lip scar involved dermis and there is associated redness.  I would begin treatment with pulsed dye laser followed by fractional laser resurfacing.

Upper lip scratch

+1

All scars are red at 3 weeks. This is normal healing. They will usually fade with the passage of time. Avoid all sun exposure. Of course the scar needs to be evaluated for its depth of injury to assess how it will heal.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS