Is It Possible to Keep Your Nose Shape, but Make the Scale Size Smaller?

I have a large upturned nose, I used to be bullied&called, "Pig." I would cry... I've learned to like my nose b/c I'm a proud Russian&people have told me it's very "Russian" looking. I've realized that if my nose was just a bit smaller, it would match my features perfectly. My nose also protrudes, alot. Is it possible to keep my nose but still make it smaller? Or would they have to give me an entirely different nose? Also, may you choose a nose or do they pick whats best for you?

Reducing size of nose while keeping the shape

+1

It is possible to scale the nose down in total size but it will never be exactly the same nose after the rhinoplasty.  By decreasing projection of the nose it alters the relationship of your nose with other facial features, ideally making them balanced.   Narrowing the nasal bones does reduce the width of the nose and any work to the tip may cause it to be slightly upturned. 

+1

The art of Rhinoplasty is the ability to adjust things around according to the specific needs and desires of  each and every patient.  You should be able to modify the size of your nose while maintaining the shape but I'd have to see pictures, of your nose, front and side in order to evaluate the nose further. 

Rhinoplasty should be about obtaining a natural result that fits your face

+1

People come in for rhinoplasty consultations with many different requests. Most relate to making their noses smaller. I have found that unless very radical changes are desired, most noses tend to look like smaller versions of where they once were or with one or two features altered such as the angle of the tip or removing a hump. In order to get a good idea of what is best for you I suggest you see a few rhinoplasty specialists and discuss your goals. I find that computer imaging is an excellent tool to assist in coming to a mutually agreeable plan.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

A consultation with computer-imaging will help you learn what to expect after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns. It sounds like the angle between your nose and lip needs to stay the same, but you want to have your tip deprojected so it doesn't stick out so far. This may be achieved in most cases, but you would benefit from consulting several rhinoplasty specialists to see what could be achieved in your circumstance. You may want to re-post your question, with photos, for the RealSelf community of experts to comment on.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Making a nose smaller.

+1

Generally speaking, it is possible to make a nose smaller and keep the same general shape.  You need to point out to your Facial Plastic Surgeon exactly what your concerns are.  For example, to narrow the tip, the lower lateral cartilages need to be trimmed.  This can be done in such a way that the tip does not rotate up.  Narrowing the bridge can typically be done without changing the position of the tip. 

Good luck!

David Alessi, MD

Can I keep my nose shape

+1

The ideal rhinoplasty creates a nose that blends into the face, draws attention to the eyes and itself is not noticed. I would suggest that just making a smaller version of what you currently have would still leave you upset at the way it draws attention away from the rest of your face. A consult with computer imaging will help you to visualize how different changes will affect your overall facial look and better communicate with your surgeon.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Same nose, just smaller

+1

My feeling would be no, your nose could not be just a smaller version of what your have now, and from the question you submitted I am not certain that you really like your nose all that well. We would suggest computer imaging to try changes, which might be expected, to see if the look is for you.

peterejohnsonmd

Nose shape and size

+1

From reading your post, I wonder if you have really "learned to like your nose". Have you shifted your concerns from an upturned nose to a slightly smaller nose?  Acceptance of your features should be based on your feelings and not on what people's opinions are. While a surgeon may be able to get you closer to what you want , ensure that you are psychologically ready, as dissapointment, even with a godd surgical result may not make you happy.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

While it is possible to make your nose smaller while keeping the same features, every nose is different.  It depends on what your goals are.  I would recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified specialist in the face to help you determine realistic goals and show you what you might look like.

Kimberly Lee, MD