Can Having Your Nose Broken Cause Premature Facial Aging?

I have had multiple rhinoplasties, and in each operation my nose was further broken in. I was wondering if this could have an effect on the rest of my face and the way it has aged? Specifically could it have caused my eyes to sink in further or my cheeks to fall? Thank you for any help.

Multiple rhinoplasties

+3

Multiple rhinoplasties can cause problems around the nose with the tissues becoming thinner because of repeated elevation.

Can having your nose broken cause premature facial aging?

+2

Having your nose fractured during surgery will have no effect on aging your face. Any facial aging is independent of your surgeries. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+2

The nose is an isolated aesthetic facial unit and breaking the nasal bones has, would have, no effect on how the face ages.  The facial tissuesage by drooping inward towards the nose and mouth and are supported by the size and shape of the cheek bones.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasties do not cause facial aging.

+2

Hi.

I am sorry you have had such bad experience with your nasal surgery.  I hope now it looks OK.  But you don't have to worry about aging changes to the rest of your face.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Multiple rhinoplasties do not cause the face to age.

+2

The face ages independently regardless  of the number of rhinoplasties you have had. 

Rhinoplasty and the Facial Aging

+2

The nose's contribution to aging usual presents as a droopy tip and thickineing if the skin, especially on the lower nose. If anything, rhinoplasty contributes to the opposite. The areas around the eyes tend to lose fat as we age, and the cheeks appear to fall. Rhinoplasty should not accerate the process.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Facial Aging More Noticeable after Multiple Rhinoplasties?

+2

Pictures would help immensely in this case.  Multiple rhinoplasties typically do not hasten facial aging in any known mechanism, and these changes would be highly unlikely as a result of rhinoplasties.  However, there is a possibility that multiple osteotomies in this area if low enough could produce changes in tension on the medial canthus, which anchors to eyelid sling that supports the eyeball.  Cheek descent would be harder to argue as a result of rhinoplasty.  

Rhinoplasty and facial aging

+1

The changes you describe in your face sound like the normal aging process, in which you lose volume under the eyes and the cheek volume descends from its youthful position. This would happen whether or not you had rhinoplasty. Typically the nose ages as well, but with multiple rhinoplasties, your nose is likely supported and will age less than it may have otherwise (less drooping of tip, etc). It may be that you are noticing your facial aging more since your nose is not aging in the same way.

Anita Patel, MD

Rhinoplasty Does Not Cause Facial Aging

+1

Nasal osteotomies or any manuver performed in a rhinoplasty is not known to contribute in any way to the acceleration of facial aging. It may be that you have spent some much time scrutining your face from your numerous rhinoplasties that you are discovering facial issues not seen before.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD