If Your Neck Needs More Tightening, Can it be Done After Your First Surgery?

if your neck needs more tightening> can it be done after your first surgery

+1

Yes, more skin can be removed from the neck either through a small incision under the chin or a more invasive Revision Neck Lift.  

More Neck Tightening after First Neck Lift

+1

It certainly is possible to perform a secondary neck lift and achieve some improvement in the appearance of the neck.  The difficulty is that the tension required on the skin to flatten out the central neck may result in some necrosis of the skin in the area behind the ears.  So it best to be judicious with the amount of tension applied to the skin.  Some careful laser treatment may help the poor elasticity of the central neck skin and is a useful adjunctive treatment.

Michael Sundine, MD

Can I tighten my neck again?

+1

It is possible to perform a revision neck lift. The question is whether or not it would be beneficial. If there is evidence of muscle laxity in the neck with redundant skin you may be a good candidate. I would caution against too much tightening. If too much tension is placed on the skin you run the risk of scarring complications that obviously defeat the purpose. Less invasive options include Ulthera which, for the right patient, can provide some tightening. I would visit with your surgeon and get his/her opinion on what your most effective options are.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Additional tightening after a facelift and necklift

+1

Many patients after a facelift want to be tighter.  Who wouldn't- tight is better, tighter must be better?

We certainly don't want to reproduce the excessive, very altering facelifts seen from the 80's!

If there is legitimately more tightness that can be achieved without pulling excessively on the earlobe, tragus, or requiring too much alteration in the hairline, a little additional tightening can be performed.

For patients in whom additional surgical tightening would not produce the desired results, or would cause stigmata of surgery to appear, radiofrequency tightening with the Accent or similar device is often helpful.

If more rejuvenation is desired, has the patient done all the procedures which rejuvenate the face?  A recent study showed that rejuvenation of a number of areas works better than only rejuvenating a few.  Is there volume replacement to be contemplated?  Division of the DAO?  Brow work?  Eyelid work? 

These questions should be realistically discussed before the surgery so patients aren't disappointed in what the surgical result is.

Brent Moelleken, MD

The skin of the neck can be retightened after surgery with chemical peel or radiofrequency

+1

Surgical retightening of the neck (necklift) is generally very successful. However, consistent results are not always achievable. When minor residual laxity is still visible, often chemical peels will improve texture or contour; as a second option,  radiofrequency devices help as well.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon