Can You Have Your Mole Removed Via Laser During the Summer?

I was wondering if having my facial moles removed during the summer would affect it's healing process? Would it not heal as well because of the hot weather and the sun? Or does it not matter? We are talking about 90+ degrees weather.

Moles should not be removed with Lasers

+2

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. Sunscreens are essential after facial mole removal any time of the year and then it is fine to have moles removed year round.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole Removal with Lasers

+1
You should never remove a mole with a laser.  The best method of removing a facial mole, depending on its size and shape, is by shave removal.  That will lead to minimal or no scarring as a result of the removal.  Lasers are meant for Solar Lentigos ( brown spots), telangiectasias, rosaea, or hemangiomas (red spots).  Summer will not affect mole removal but lasers, depending, on which one, should not be performed if you are going into the sun.  Please find an experienced dermatologist in both skin cancer and cosmetic procedures for your moles.

Michele S. Green, MD

Mole removal

+1

I would encourage you to first have the moles/lesions carefully assessed prior to doing any treatment.  It is never a good idea to laser a mole first without a biopsy. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Moles removed during the summer with a laser

+1

The main drawback of doing this in the summer is that you can get some more hyperpigmentation during these months. It should not scar more. But larger moles are not best removed with lasers. There is a way to approach these and you can read more about this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do not remove facial moles by laser or during the summer

+1

I do not recommend mole removal by laser.  The tissue is not available for analysis, there is a scar if the entire mole is removed, and recurrence of the mole if removed too superficially.  Excision is preferred.  Facial moles should not be removed during the summer to prevent pigmentation of the scars from the sun.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist