Can Your Cast Change Shape in the First Week After Rhinoplasty?

I had cosmetic rhinoplasty to de-project, straighten and change the angle slightly of my nose and it has been 6 days post op. I have noticed the cast I am wearing is not as straight and smooth as it was on the first day. I noticed a very slight rise in the middle of the cast on one side of my nose about 4 days afterwards and today (day 6) the cast felt even more morphed and on both sides it goes in more at the corners of the eyes and ends of the cast down by the nostrils. what is happening?

Can your cast change shape the first week after rhinoplasty?

+1

At 6 days post-op, you are near the peak of your swelling. It is difficult to provide you with advice without performing an exam. I would recommend communicating any immediate post-operative concerns to your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Cast and swelling

+1

The purpose of a cast is to minimize post op swelling.Yes the swelling will change as the week continues and therefore you will see changes. I like to remove casts early so that oily skin does not get too "pimplely".80% of swelling is usually out by 2 weeks, but the rest of the swelling will last 1 year. Your nose should look better at the end of 2 weeks than it did before surgery.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Splint Changes at 6 Days Following Rhinoplasty

+1

What is happening?  Swelling is happening.  I would not be troubled by the splint looking different if there has not been any trauma.  Try not to focus on the results of your rhinoplasty so early.  When your plastic surgeon takes the splint off, you will likely have additional concerns.  You must realize that you are not going to see the result for 6 months to a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA