Do Younger Women Recover Faster Than Older Women?

judging by mosts of these posts i cant help but notice younger woman have faster recovery times and less pain. is it just me or is this true?

Younger women probably recover a bit faster than older women after breast reduction.

+1

In general this is probably a true statement. However "recovery" in many ways a subjective.

Healing time

+1

Actually, for most plastic surgery procedures, the recovery times are comparable between different age groups as long as the older patient is in generally good health.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

There are a lot of variables here.  Age probably plays only a small role.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast reductions and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

That is an interesting question. But I guess it depends on what you consider as younger or older. My kids think 30 is old and I think it is young. But in general I find teens deal much less well with pain than to older patients. But cellular repair is much better the younger you are.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery Time Not Related To Age

+1

I don't feel that the recovery time for aesthetic procedures is necessarily less in younger patients.  In fact, I would probably suggest that the opposite is true but one cannot really generalize about this.

John Whitt, MD

Recovery after breast reduction

+1

Hi katereynolds.   I think age is one factor in faster recovery, but there are many more.  These include: The amount of tissue removed, the surgical technique, the durationof the surgery, the amount and type of local anesthetic used by the surgeon, the drugs and technique used by the anesthesiologist, the extent to which the patient is tolerent to pain, how fast the patient returns to work, the patient's response to the pain medication...  I could go on, but I think you get the message.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the interesting question. You are correct in that different patients have different experiences after surgery. However, I personally do not think that age (with everything else being equal) is a major predictor as to help patients will do.  I find that if patients have “glass half full” personalities,  they tend to do relatively well after surgery.  Again, generally speaking, a positive mental attitude tends go a long way when it comes to the recovery experience.