How Young is Too Young for Lower Blepharoplasty?

I'm 16, caucasian, female, and I'm interested in getting lower blepharoplasty, but I'm not sure if I qualify. I have very loose, thin, somewhat sagging skin under my eyes, something I've inherited from both parents. My eyes look older than most adults in their 30's. I know without a pic it's impossible to determine whether surgery is the right approach for me, but before I book a $100 consultation for nothing, is 16 too young/inappropriate to recieve lower blepharoplasty?

At what age is cosmetic blepharoplasty appropriate?

+1

It's highly unlikely that a 16-year-old patient's lower eyelids would benefit from a blepharoplasty. The anatomical issues that lower blepharoplasty are designed to correct are generally not present in a young person.

If you're concerned about the appearance of the eyes and eyelids, with your parents' permission you may want to see a surgeon who can determine why your eyes and eyelids have the appearance that they do. It may have more to do with the shape of the midface, the cheeks, the eye socket, etc. A proper diagnosis is important since it's very unlikely that lower blepharoplasty would be indicated in a teenager.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty in adolescent

+1

Though lower eyelid blepharoplasty is unusual to be needed at that age, there are some hereditary/familial cases where lower eyelid fat prolapse can be present at a very early age.

Though I would recommend you wait till at least age 18 before considering surgery, it is not an absolute contraindication. If you and your parents are present at the consultation, and seem mature in the decision making process, its possible to consider surgery at your current age.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is 16 too young for lower eyelid blepharoplasty?

+1

In my experience it would be highly unusual for a 16 year old to be a lower eyelid blepharoplasty candidate.

It's hard to comment without seeing photos, but you can see issues with the lower eyelid at a relatively young age related to undergrowth of the upper jaw (maxilla). This can lead to the appearance of early tear troughs or bags under the eyes. The proper treatment in these situations revolves around improving the volume and support of the soft tissue in the area.

This effect can be achieved with soft tissue fillers or fat grafting. Check out my web reference link below to see an patient before and after example.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

I don't think I have ever seen a 16 year old that would benefit from the lower blepharoplasty and I'm afraid I can't comment on you specifically without a photo.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

It is unusual to need/have lower blepharoplasty in teenager years (unlike ptosis surgery), but it is not impossible. Please post a photo of your eyes for better evaluation and/or see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not necessarily.

+1

However, in most locations, you need your parents to be on board with something like this.  One concern I always have is what is the actually issue?  Is the individual realistic or is the problem so small that it is not appropriate to be a focus of concern?  I would have a heart to heart with your parents and see if this is something they support before getting too focus on something that may not be appropriate.

How young is too young for lower blepharoplasty?

+1

You are correct, that without pictures, it's impossible to know if you might be a candidate for lower blepharoplasty at age 16.  I would say that it would be unusual for a 16 year old to be a good candidate for lower blepharoplasty, but can't comment on your particular case without seeing you or pictures of you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon