Im a Young Person Wanting Filler Injections for Tear Troughs?

Hello, I am only seventeen although I will be eighteen in a few months, and I have annoying tear troughs that extend from the corner of my eyes even slightly onto the cheekbones. I would really like to try filler injections (most likely restylane) to plump them up some. My question is as long as I have parental consent am I going to be able to find a doctor to do this procedure even though I am quite young? Thank you!

I'm a Young Person Wanting Filler Injections for Tear Troughs?

+1

Restylane is a good choice for the tear troughs, and this can help even in younger people.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Restylane and tear troughs

+1

It's not uncommon for someone your age to want to treat areas of volume loss under the eyes. Yes, a doctor or injector can do your treatment with parental consent until you're eighteen, and researching a well-trained and reputable provider in your area is a good place to start.

Sam Naficy, MD

17 Is Not Too Young For Filler Injections In The Right 17 Year Old

+1

It is not uncommon to do a rhinoplasty on a 17 year old as long as he or she is doing it for the right reasons , has reasonable expectations, has been seriously considering it for a long time, and has their parent's consent. I would apply the same criteria to filler injections. As long as you are doing it because it will make you feel better (doing it for you and not for others), have reasonable expectations (being more confident and comfortable with your appearance- it will not make you more popular and will certainly not change your life), and have the support of your family, it is certainly something to consider. Realize that the tear trough can be a somewhat tricky area to get a great result so choose your injector wisely (lots of experience with tear trough injections). Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear troughs

+1

I think as long as you have your parents consent all should be well.Call a surgeon who has a lot of experince with injectables to see if you can come in for a consult.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Injection of Restylane in Lower Eyelid Hollows in a Minor

+1

Hi Austin,

As long as you have your parents with you and they consent to the treatment then you may have Restylane placed in your lower eye lid hollows.  Make sure that you choose your injecting physician most carefully in this most delicate and unforgiving area.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tear Trough Injections work well

+1

Tear trough injections work well when performed by a physician who is comforteable with them and understands the anatomy and physiology of how they improve the appearance of the area. It is important to pick the correct filler. (I prefer restylane for these areas) and to not overfill due to the risk of puffiness developing. I recommend, once you are 18 years old, to do your research and pick a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with these types of injections.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Can Filler Injections Be Performed for Tear Troughs if I'm Only 18?

+1

Yes. You should be able to find an injector who is willing to perform tear trough injections for you. As long as you don't have any medical contraindications (rare) and have reasonable expectations, this should not be an issue. I would recommend discussing this with your parents. Even though you will be 18 soon, they will want to know what you've had done and why. That's a much easier conversation to have before, rather than after, the treatment. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane under the eyes

+1

Hollow tear troughs are a genetic problem and I have many patients who tell me that they have always suffered from this problem.  I wish you had sent a photo so that I can ascertain the depth of the problem.  My advice is to consult an experienced board certified dermatologist for consultation who has a lot of experience with injecting Restyane in this delicate eye area.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fillers in young patients

+1

Fillers are approved to use in patients 18 and over. As long as you are 18 and can consent to your procedure, it can be done. It would be best for you to have a few consultations first to determine if this really is the right procedure for you, though. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD