Can I Still Get a Tummy Tuck if I Have a Tattoo in the Same Area? (Photos)

I have a tattoo going up my side and im not sure if i can have a tummy tuck also I dont plan on having another child for 6 years but i hate my tummy its big and bulgy i still look pregnant with many stretch marks and saggy skin which is very bothersome can i have a tummy tuck if i want children that far down the road ?

Tattoo tummy tuck

+2
A tummy tuck in your situation is likely to require removal of part of the tattoo depending on how the surgery is designed. You should consult a plastic surgeon who can mark out on your skin the portion of the tattoo that will be removed. The design of the skin excision can be adjusted to some degree to customize it for your particular situation. In this way you will know ahead of time which part of the tattoo will be removed and which part will be left behind.

Tummy tuck planning

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, you can have a tummy tuck with the tattoo present.  With some planning it may be  possible to leave the tattoo largely undisturbed (although its position and dimensions may change).

Yes it is possible to have a tummy tuck now and have a normal pregnancy 6  years  from now.

Please make sure your seeking consultation with a well experienced  board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck and tattoos

+2

A tattoo does not prohibit one from getting a tummy tuck. It may however be in the way of the incision or scar.  Discuss the placement of the incision with the surgeon to determine if it can be placed in such a way to avoid the tattoo or cause minimal change.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks and tattoos

+1

It does not appear by your photos that your tattoo would be effected by an abdominoplasty. If you are planning to have more children, however, it is advisable to wait to have an abdominoplasty until after your child-bearing years because your muscles and skin will stretch and change during pregnancy, probably requiring another tummy tuck.

Donna Rich, MD

Tattoo and Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes you can definitely still get a tummy tuck if you have a tattoo in the area. The only thing that may occur is that the size and shape of it may change or a portion of it may need to be taken out. Essentially you should consult with your surgeon and see how much and if your tattoo shape will change. Also you should evaluate what your priorities are. If it is to have a tight abdominal area or if it is to have your tattoo remain the same. 

To learn more, please visit our page on the tummy tuck procedure.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Having a tattoo does not prevent one from having a tummy tuck.

+1

I assume your question is if a tummy tuck will disturb your tattoo. Based on the photos provided, the tummy tuck incision is low enough to avoid most or all of your tattoo.  However, only an examination will determine this.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and planning kids

+1

You can have a tummy tuck in this situation.  I would strongly urge you to wait until after child rearing before undergoing this major procedure.  Regarding the ink, you will likely have to have this modified after surgery.

You don't mention when you delivered, so this will affect recommendations.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tattoos and Tummy Tuck

+1

Tattoos of abdomen pose no problems with Tummy Tuck.  Depending on tattoos location they may be partially or totally removed.

Some patients choose to have a tatto after tummy tuck to hide their scar. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tattoos and tummy tuck

+1

There should be no problem having a tummy tuck with a tattoo. Your tattoo may chang size shape or be partially removed.

We always recommend you wait until after you are finished with your family because pregnancy or weight gain may  partially stretch you out again, however you should be able to have children and you may never choose to get pregnant again.

Thx,

MW 

Michael L. Workman, MD