Too Young for Hollowing Eyes

I'm 26 years old and believe the skin volume around my eyes to be hollowing out, particularly at the side of the eye area. I don't think it's normal aging, I have taken many awkwardly close looks at peoples eye areas (older and same age) and have not seen nearly as much recession. What may have caused it? Could it from staring too much at my computer over the years or from sun damage? It looks like the best reatment for this is a filler. Is there anything else I could do?

Tear trough deformity

+1

Unfortunately, your photos are all a bit out of focus, as self photos often are, but I think a hit of hollowness is seen which we call a tear trough deformity [a trough at the eyelid and cheek junction.

Injectible fillers [Juviderm and Restylane] have been used with good success in this region. Some surgeons also have had great results with fat grafting, though this can be a more unpredictable and possibly with potential lumpiness if it is done too close to the skin surface near the eyelid.

This is not a problem caused by anything you did, as Dr. Massry indicated, but rather a genetic predisposition.

Good luck.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye hollows

+1

You are absolutely correct - filler treatment is your best and safest option.  You did nothing to cause this.  What has happened is the thin skin of the eyelid is now overlying the lower bone of the obit (the bones which encase the eyes).  As this is thin skin the bone (hollow) becomes apparent.  This is probably genetic and is a characteristic change of aging - which can at times occur prematurely as in your case.  You should see an eyelid specialist with experience in injecting this area with filler.  You can find names of such doctors at asoprs.org.

Best of luck to you

Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD