Is 29 Too Young for Upper Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I am 29 years old and am considering upper eyelid surgery. I have considerable drooping of my right eyelid and my left eyelid is not too far behind. My eyes have been this way for quite sometime but seem to be getting worse. My eyes look very tired all of the time. I am not sure if I should wait until I get older (and the condition gets presumably worse) or if there is a less drastic approach. I also have really dark circles under my eyes, seemingly no ,atter how much sleep I get.

Eyelid Surgery

+2
This may be not excess skin, but rather a lid ptosis, or weakness.  I strongly suggest you visit with an oculoplastic surgeon or ophthalmologist to asses the cause of this appearance, to make sure the correct procedure is being done.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Surgery in a Young Patient

+1

If one has significant dermatolysis or redundant skin of the upper eyelids, this may be hereditary. One can easily accommodate by doing excision of the redundant skin only in the upper eyelids, even at this young age. This is uncommon to do so under age 30.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Too young for for upper eyelid surgery?

+1

Many people are blessed with heavy upper eyelids thanks to genetics.  From your picture, it appears that a conservative skin removal with fat excision and reshaping would greatly improve the heavy appearance of your upper eyelids. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is 29 too young for upper #blepharoplasty (eyelid tuck) ? Not in a properly selected patient.

+1

Is 29 too young for upper blepharoplasty (eyelid tuck) ? Not in a properly selected patient. Nothing substitutes for an in-depth in person consultation but your photos do seem to show heavy upper eyelids, more so on your right than left. Your brow position appears to be pretty good. Based on this single photo you are likely a good candidate for upper eyelid surgery to "open" your eyes and make you look more rested.

Thank you for your questions.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Heavy tired eyes

+1

Thank you for the photo.  I believe that you could benefit from having your upper lids addressed.  Without the benefit of examining you, I think you might be better served with just addressing your lower lid tear trough  tired look with fillers in the office. Get a few opinions

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Is 29 Too Young for Upper Eyelid Surgery?

+1

The frontal view posted photos does demonstrate a "heavy" upper lid tissues. I agree an upper lid blepharoplasty can improve. Best of luck send follow up photos please. 

Upper lid blepharoplasty

+1

Your upper eyelids based upon the photos could be tweaked a bit, of course an in office consultation is critical  But, I would warn you to be very conservative.

+1

Your eyebrows are quite low in these pictures and is most likely contributing (or the only cause) of the upper eyelid fullness.  You should have your eyelids evaluated by a Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

If your eyebrows are the only cause of upper eyelid fullnes...which can be determined by an in person examination, performing an upper eyelid surgery is the wrong procedure and can result in pulling the eyebrows lower.  The required procedure is a Coronal Brow Lift.

Upper blepharoplasty recovery and pain is minimal.

+1

Upper blepharoplasty recovery and pain is minimal and you don't need a browlift now. In the future you may need that but for now see an experienced surgeon and get just your upper lids done.

Lid surgery at a young age

+1

From your photo, you seem to have a bit of eyebrow ptosis on the right.  This could account for the greater excess of lid skin on the right upper lid.  Some families tend to get excess upper lid skin at an earlier age.  If this is the case with you, lid surgery can correct it.  The only way I know of changing the dark color of the lower lid skin ( in properly selected patients), is with laser resurfacing.  I doubt that fat removal from the lower lids will help this, and may eventually be detrimental.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon