Am I too young for a nose job?

My nose was a bit droopy as a toddler but it didn't look odd. Soon I started getting clumsy. Now it has a big hump and it doesn't fit my face now. I'm 13 1/12 years old. The upper part of my nose is very hard, the tip is soft. I have a constant stuffy nose and it swells (My doctor says its from the times I must've broken it). My mother is cooperating with this, my father isn't very eager. I've been bullied throughout my life and I feel like surgery would help me gain confidence. Am I too young?

Best Age for Teenage Rhinoplasty

+1
Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear that kids are being mean to you.  Just know that is really their problem, not yours!  

It sounds as if you are having two different concerns.  One is that your nose is getting stuffy and making it hard to breathe.  Two is that you are concerned about the appearance of your nose.

If you were my patient, I would examine your nose both inside and out.  There are some things that can be done to help improve your nasal breathing depending on your anatomy and what is found at the examination.    As for having an aesthetic rhinoplasty to change the shape of your nose, that can be performed once you have stopped growing.  There are X-rays that can be taken to determine your bone growth, but we usually just wait until the teenager's shoe size stabilizes for a year or two.  For girls that is usually around 14 1/2 to 15 years old (that gives you another year to try to convince your father.)

In the meantime, I would advise you to consider seeing a few rhinoplasty surgeons with your mother to get an idea of who you would like to perform your nasal surgery when the time is right.  Make sure to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully based upon their skill, experience, caring nature, and their natural artistic vision.  Good luck and be well.  Happy, healthy Holidays.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino, CA

(We have much more information about rhinoplasty on our website)

Nose job

+1
I have never performed a rhinoplasty on someone your age, but I evaluate each case on an individual basis. I think it is with going on a few consults, with your parents of course, and get the opinion of a few experienced surgeons in your area. The youngest rhinoplasty I have performed is 15 and the patient was very happy.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Too Young for Nose Job? #nosejob

+1
You are too young. You want to allow the nose to reach full maturity which may take unitl 15 at least for girls. I would not recommend it at this point. Good luck. Hope this helps you.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Am I too young for a nose job?

+1
The minimum recommended age to have rhinoplasty performed is 15 years of age for girls and 16 for boys. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Septorhinoplasty candidate

+1
Dear Andrea, The age for rhinoplasty really depends on the individual patient's maturity of the nose. Typically the age of 16 is given as an appropriate age however when the nose has matured or there are other extenuating factors as breathing problems etc then depending on the patient that age can be dropped to 14 or 15 years old. A consultation will help determine your eligibility and with a direct examination it would be determined a proper surgical protocol. As you are a minor you must have your parents consent for consultation. During consultation you will have the ability to see what can be done to change your nose via digital imaging prior to surgery and this may be helpful in letting you know what changes can be made. Sometimes knowing the improvements that may be made and how they will affect your self esteem can bring parents together on the decision making. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Am I too young for a nose job?

+1
It is unwise to do a rhinoplasty before the nose has stopped changing. That would be about 16 for a female and 20 for a male.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Age for Rhinoplasty

+1
Over the past 35 years I've done rhinoplasty surgery on numerous young females between the ages of 14-16 who's noses were physically mature. As you know you will need parental permission.

Age

+1
The age for rhinoplasty in women is generally considered to be 16 to 17 years old and for men 18 to 19. That is to give enough time for full maturity. Operating sooner may negatively affect facial growth and particularly that of the nose. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon