Is 25 Really Too Young for a Neck Lift?

I'm 25 years old and have always had a weak profile. I had assumed a chin implant/ neck lipo would do the trick, but after meeting w/ a surgeon, I now realize that my chin is only slightly recessed and that there's really not fat in my neckline -it's mostly muscle. The surgeon ruled out a neck lift because my age, but admitted that a chin implant wouldn't create dramatic results for my profile. Do I really have to wait until I'm 40 to do something about my neckline?

Chin Implant to Enhance Facial Profile

+1

Without a photo it is difficult to determine an appropriate approach for helping you at your young age. Usually small chins or “weak” chins are traits that are genetic and run in families. There may also be developmental problems that did not allow for proper chin formation. At my practice in New York, chin implants can also be considered when a patient has excess skin or fat in the neck. For these patients, liposuction along with the implant may be a good idea to rejuvenate their face. I do recommend getting a second opinion by a specialist to help determine if a chin implant would be beneficial to you.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck lift at 25?

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck lift Candidate?

+1

Without pictures or direct examination it is now possible to give you good advice. Consultation with several well experienced  board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Weak jawline and whether neck lift or chin implant will help

+1

First you should get multiple opinions on this first. You can send me photos to fully answer your questions as well.  But a chin implant could improve your profile and neck line to a degree.  Some people are just born with neck laxity in the under chin area.  LIposuction could help you but you may still need a neck lift.  25 is young for this procedure. But I have had patients that I've done neck lifts at the age of 40 and above that told me they never had a defined neck as they had after a neck lift procedure that I've done for them.  Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and age of patient

+1

It is important to look at what is causing the problem in the jaw line definition irrespective of the age of the patient.  A chin implant will certainly give more augmentation and chin projection when there is a recession and retrusion to the lower jaw line.  In the neck itself there is fat located both above and below the platysmal muscle which must be addressed.  Men tend to have thicker skin in the neck, which does not give as much jaw line definition as woman from the neck lift procedure.  A platysmaplasty will also give more of a jaw line definition once any subplatysmal fat has been removed.  

Is 25 Really Too Young for a Neck Lift?

+1

I think you should sent photos of your face front and on profile for review and/or get a second opinion.  There's an aesthetic reason that your face and profile appear weak.  At 25 years old, you absolutely do not have loose neck muscles...that's absurd.  Please get another evaluation before having anything done.

Neck lifts may be appropriate even for young women

+1
The shape and elegance of the neck depend upon the shape and construction of the alternating layers of fat and muscle beneath the skin. In some people, those fat and muscle layers are built in such a way that the neck appears diagonal, with little definition. Although their neck hasn't actually "fallen", In these patients, a necklift done from under the chin can make a dramatic improvement. I have done several necklifts in young women with very gratifying results.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a neck lift at 25 years old?

+1
Without physical exam, it is impossible to make a diagnosis, and thus not wise to offer advice. What you mean by a "weak" profile is unclear. Muscle is not likely involved at age 25, unless your digastrics are hypertrophic (overdeveloped). If so, and they bother you, young age isn't a contraindication to fix the problem. In my experience, open neck plasty with clearing sub and supra-platysmal fat can make a remarkable difference for young patients with a full neck and obtuse cervico-mental angle, trimming the neck significantly. The younger and sooner you have the procedure done, the longer you benefit from the result, and thus, the more valuable the procedure. Your surgeon should desire for you the greatest value.

Steve Laverson, MD

Neck Lift in a Young Woman

+1

In general, 25 years is an unusual young age for a neck lift. But at the end, I don't treat the patient's age but rather  the face an neck anatomy. Based on your very particular situation, management options can be discussed with their pros and cons - and maybe a necklift is one of them. A neck lift in younger patients can sometimes be the right answer in order to achieve the definition that you never had and other procedures simply cannot deliver.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon