Am I Too Young for Breast Surgery? Im 15.

Im 15 and been dealing with back pains for a quite a while , i have went from a size D or DD to a triple D on one breast and it cause's mean problems in running and laying down also dragging my bra into my shoulders . i been reading up on breast surgery and saw mostly nothing that is wrong with it so , but am i too young

Hello

+2

In some practices they will do surgery on you if your parents agree it’s causing so much pain. Make sure you see a certified plastic surgeon and take your parents.

Breast Reduction at 15?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and (probable) psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Reduction Age

+1

Insurance companies will approve breast reductions based on two things: symptoms caused by large breasts such as neck, back or shoulder pain or rashes and you must have enough excess tissue to meet their criteria.  The criteria is based on body surface area which is computed from your height and weight.  Insurance compaines have approved patients under the age of 18 years old.  If you meet these criteria and have parental consent, you may be a candidate for breast surgery.  Breast surgery can be paid for independently if they do not want to cover the surgery.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for 15 year old

+1

It sounds like you are a good candidate for breast reduction with symptoms that should decrease after the surgery. You should discuss this with your parents and if they agree then you should see a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in your area who will evaluate you and discuss with you what is involved in the surgery and recuperation. You should be aware that you will probably not be able to breast feed after this surgery. Your surgeon should also be able to work with you to determine whether your insurance will cover your surgery. This surgery can be life changing so do go ahead and find out about it. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Age 15 yrs is OK if ---

+1

Age 15 yrs is OK for breast reduction surgery if ---

--- They are large enough to cause physical and/or psychological problems and physical therapy is not helping you enough.

--- But, make sure your parents agree with you and see a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon and find out about all the possible results, problems and complications and then make the decision.

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is 15 too young for breast reduction?

+1
Unfortunately, insurance companies will not pay for breast reduction on patients under age 18. It is advantageous to know that the breasts are fully developed. In the meantime, if you are overweight, try to diet and also consider physical therapy and other conservative management for the back pain. Insurance companies are requiring this now so complying with their guidelines will make it much easier to obtain preauthorization as you near age 18. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD