Yoga Restrictions After Tummy Tuck?

Will There Be Any Yoga Pose Restrictions (Beyond the 4-6 Wk Recovery) After a Full Tummy Tuck?                           

Yoga restrictions after tummy tuck

+4

Many yoga poses are quite a strenuous abdominal workout. I ask my patients to refrain from yoga, abdominal crunches and sports that involve a lot of twisting motions (golf, tennis, etc.) for 12 weeks post-op. This allows time for the muscle repair to heal solidly.

Getting close to full healing, but check with your surgeon first

+3

All tissues require at least 6 weeks of healing time to reach maximal strength so that you can practice your yoga or other strenuous activities.   This goes for skin, tendon, muscle, bone, etc.   Sometimes, individual healing rates can vary depending on your overall health status.   By 4-6 weeks, you are definitely getting close, but check with your surgeon to make sure that your abdomen and fascia have healed to the extent necessary for the additional pressures of yoga.    Premature strain on your tissues can lead to complications and reoperation, which of course, you want to avoid!

Charles K. Lee, MD

Yoga Pose Restrictions After a Full Tummy Tuck

+3

After having a full abdominoplasty, you will need to recover for approx 6 wks before returning to you normal exercise routine.  Check with your Plastic Surgeon to verify this, but there should be absolutely no reason that you could not do all postures that you were doing prior to the surgery.  Tummy tuck surgery will remove any excess skin, and often times bring the rectus muscles closer together when there has been a dehissance, or streching apart of the muscles from childbirth or obesity.  This should not stop you from being able to exercise and do your postures, though!  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Yoga after tummy tuck may be easier and more effective

+3

We actually did a tummy tuck on a yoga instructor last year. As you probably know, tummy tucks do what exercise alone can't: remove excess skin and localized fat (if any), and repair separated muscles (called a diastasis.) Many patients report that after the tummy tuck it is easier to improve their core strength and so they get a bigger benefit from exercise - including yoga. You will of course need to be completely healed, minimum 6 weeks before anything too strenuous.

Richard Baxter, MD

Abdominal restrictions after a tummy tuck

+3

After 8 weeks of healing I let my patients begin ab exercises because they are fully healed.  Start slowly and progress back to yoga.  Ask your doctor but 4-6 weeks is too soon IMO.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Yoga after a tummy tuck

+2

Normally I explain to every patient that a tummy tuck will require 6 weeks of no strenuous exercise because it will potentially cause problems with swelling.  You want the area to be well healed prior to increasing your heart rate such that it can make additional swelling.  This applies to yoga as well.  The gradual return to normal activities is fine as long as you wait this amount of time.  Otherwise you could see more swelling than is expected in teh recovery phase of an abdominoplasty.

Best Wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Yoga After Tummy Tuck

+2

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise incuding yoga) for at least 5 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.  So you should be able to resume yoga after six weeks but advance your regimen slowly and gradually.  Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon for his/her specific recommendations.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

No yoga pose restrictions after proper healing time.

+2

Yoga does extensive strengthening and stretching of the abdominal area.  A tummy tuck has separated the skin and fat of the abdomen from the underlying muscles, repaired the muscles and then  replacing the skin flap back down after trimming off the excess.  This skin flap must reattach to the muscles.  Too much activity too soon can prevent this healing and lead to problems.  4 - 6 weeks would be the bare minimum to wait before resuming yoga but a safer time would be 6 - 8 weeks.  When restarting yoga, begin slowly and be prepared for your abdomen feeling tight and hard to stretch.  Over time, as the tissues relax, you will get back to where you started from.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Yoga Restrictions After Tummy Tuck?

+2

Regarding: "Yoga Restrictions After Tummy Tuck?
Will There Be Any Yoga Pose Restrictions (Beyond the 4-6 Wk Recovery) After a Full Tummy Tuck
? "

Unlike turkeys, last time I checked, none of my patients had a plastic pop-out indicator sticking out of their backs which signaled they were "done" and ready for serious physical activity. This is where our experience as surgeons crosses merges and depends on our patients' native intelligence.

While there MAY be enough scarring (IE "healing") in most patients to brace and fortify our repair to allow you to more-or-less engage in some vigorous activities by 6 weeks, others may require 8 weeks or more to do the same activities.

Listen to what your body tells you. If it hurts - stop it. If it does not proceed with caution. But do not take risks with a fresh result. Trying to fix a torn muscle repair would be an unpleasant experience for both you and your surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Yoga after tummy tuck

+1
You should be able to do yoga once you've allowed yourself that 6 week wait after surgery and if your recovery has been going well, although you should start off slowly and build up as to not cause damage. For better advice, please ask your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD