Yoga, Vinyasa, Hot, Hatha After Tummy Tuck

these activities involve floor and standing stretches are they safe to do after a tummy tuck?Will these exercises cause anything to tear?

Exercise after tummy tucks

+4

I let patients elevate their heart rate and BP after 2 weeks. Light cardio and light weights begin then. I restrict all abdominal straining for 8 weeks as if the patient had a hernia repair. I also restrict any positions like downward dog in which the weight of the abdominal organs hangs down on the muscle repair and can damage it possible. Other poses may be fine and stretching is good.

No downward dog after Tummy Tuck

+3

No,No, No to the downward dog!!! To many risks if start to early, like splitting the muscle repair. Wait 6 to 8 weeks as Dr Rand has so expertly advised. Why take a chance to bark to early. LOL Regards from MIAMI

Yoga after tummy tuck

+1
You may be able to begin cardio type physical activity at 3-4 weeks. Strenuous physical activity (like lifting weights, abdominal crunches) is not permitted until 6 weeks after surgery. If the yoga you're doing requires strength, then you should probably wait until 6 weeks if your recovery has been going well. However, please ask your surgeon for their advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Returning to exercise after tummy tuck

+1

There are general guidelines about returning to physical activity after any surgery. I have patients out of bed immediately after tummy tuck, but expect them to rest around the house for the first week, gradually increasing their activities of daily living in the second week. As far as returning to an exercise routine, all the wounds must be healed and the patient should want to go back. The desire to exercise usually means that they are healed enough to start. But then they should start cautiously. I work closely with my patients during the post operative period as each heals differently. Ultimately this is something to discuss with your surgeon as someone who knows you and can see you in person is the best person to guide you.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Yoga and exercise should be started 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

Hi hotbutta - After a full tummy tuck, I would suggest waiting 6 weeks before performing any strenuous exercise.  This includes heavy lifting.   However, if you want to slowly get back to exercise with gentle stretches this would be okay. 

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Use Pilates or Yoga core strengthening after tummy tuck

+1

Activity limitations differ based on the surgery performed as well as the individual surgeon's experience and training. In general, I let my patients begin light exercises such as leg lfiting (with core trengthening.

Exercise without restriction one month after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

The muscle repair has to be well done during a tummy tuck, and you should wait a month.  But we have a lot of exercise fanatics in Manhattan, and they do fine with the most strenuous activities one month after tummy tuck.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

When to resume yoga after tummy tuck

+1

Since the whole pint of yoga, like any exercise program is to strengthen and stretch, you need to be healed enough for your abdominal muscles to handle the load. Too early and you can pop a stich or have a setback. The rule of thumb here is about 6 weeks for workouts with no restrictions, although you can resume cardio and things that don't put any stress on the abdominal muscles after a couple of weeks.

Richard Baxter, MD

When can I resume yoga after a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Hi there-

I would be comfortable with you participating in light exercise after 3-4 weeks, but would not want you to exert yourself more significantly for at least 6 or 8 weeks after surgery.

Once you are healed, you should be able to resume this activity with comfort and confidence.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, I tell my patient that they can do light exercise (treadmill, etc) 4 weeks after a tummy tuck. I prefer that my patient wait 6-8 weeks before doing any strenuous exercise.

Andrew Jimerson, MD