My Top Lip Looks Long and Smile Looks Terrible Following Rhinoplasty, Please Tell Me This Will Change?

I had a rhinoplasty to remove a hump from the bridge of my nose. doc talked me into lifting the tip a little bit stating that my nose faces down when i smile. My biggest concern (which i expressed to doc) was not coming out of this surgery with a "plastic surgery" look. I am exactly 1 week post op, just removed splint, stitches, and bandages. i am horrified :-(. My nose resembles a pig snout. my top lip looks long, lifeless and my beautiful smile is replaced by a weird lower half smile. HELP!!!

Too Early To Assess Results Of Rhinoplasty

+1

At 1 week post-op, it is too early to assess or judge the end results of your rhinoplasty.

I understand your frustration but it could be a waste of your energy to stress about something that may improve greatly over time.

Usually, it takes about 12 months post-op to have the final results to get established after a rhinoplasty.

I recommend that you have a little more patience and let nature take its course while you follow your surgeon's instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

One week postop rhinoplasty results are not yet complete

+1

It is very normal, common, and expected for the nasal tip to be too rotated ("up"), and the upper lip to be stiff/swollen at 1 week. Your tip will drop, and your lip soften/shrink/awaken, over the next few weeks. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long lip funny smile

+1

It is so soon after surgery and all the structures are swolen. I'm sure you don't have a snout but swelling will alter your smile temporarily...This too will pass

1 week post-op Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its very difficult to assess what is going on without a picture. At one week post op, you still have alot of swelling and that may be the cause of the up-turned nose look. That said, it very well be that your tip is over-rotated. A picture would help.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

+1

You're only 1 week post Rhinoplasty so some type of swelling, limited movement is not unusual.  Give yourself a couple of months to heal and continue the discussion with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon so you can understand why this is happening.  I have always found that this helps patients get through the post-op phase more easily.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Over-rotated tip after rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have a slight excessive tip rotation after surgery due to swelling. As the swelling decrease, so should the tip. However, this is to a certain degree. if the tip was over-rotated in surgery, then even after the swelling decreases the tip will remain high. 
It really depends on the surgical maneuver your surgeon used and the degree of lifting.

Pictures would be helpful. However, since you are only one week out you will have to wait several months, even if the case was that you needed corrective rhinoplasty.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon