I Have an a Yellowish Fluid Coming out of my Nipple and It Smells, the Doctor Says Its Ok?

I went to my doctor because of a fluid and odor from my breast. My nipples are also turning black. He said it was normal. I then went to my gyn doctor for a check up and she said it looked infected. What causes the infection? Do all wounds get infected? I did everything I was suppose to after the surgery. Why would my doctor say that it was normal? I may loose my nipples due to the infection. If this had been diagnosed early would that have prevented the nipple from being lost? Thanks!

Nipple issues after surgery

+1

It sounds like you are having some issues after surgery.  If you do not feel comfortable with your plastic surgeons assessment I would encourage you to seek a second opinion.  Uploading photos would also be of benefit for the realself.com answers.

Dr Repta

Fluid from nipple after surgery

+1

In agreement with other responders, without more information it is impossible to comment upon your situation with any authority.  Photos and an explanation of the surgical procedure performed, time course of events, and basic medical history, including whether or not you smoke, would be helpful information.

Steve Laverson, MD

Infection After Breast Surgery?

+1

Unfortunately you do not mention exactly what type of breast procedure you had performed. Also, without pictures or  direct physical examination it  is hard to say which one of your physicians is making an accurate diagnosis. I would suggest returning to your plastic surgeon to address your concerns in person in a calm and nonaccusatory fashion.  He/she performed her surgery and is probably in a better position to make  an accurate diagnosis compared to your OB/GYN physician who has not performed the operation and may not be aware of the postoperative sequela.

If you remain in doubt a second  opinion with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon may be helpful.