Is Yellow/purple Bruising Normal 14 Days After Lower Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

Hello. I had lower eyelid surgery 14 days ago. I realize everyone heals differently, however my concern is that I've read numerous times that bruising should be gone by 10-14 days. My doctor even mentioned this bruising would be gone about a week ago. The purple part is slowly fading...however I haven't noticed much of a difference with the yellow bruising. It has been about the same this entire time. Please let me know if this is normal and if I need to continue to be patient.

Post Op Bruising

+1
Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Everyone heals differently. Based on the picture you provided, the bruising is quite normal. Placing a warm compression on the area can help the bruising go down. I recommend that you follow-up with your board certified plastic surgeon for further evaluation.

Below are some links for additional information and before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Bruising is usually gone two weeks after blepharoplasty but there are exceptions.

+1

I don't think you have anything to worry about because bruising has no long-term effect on the outcome of an operation. However, your bruising has persisted somewhat longer than usual.

Bruising after surgery

+1

Yours is normal... I tell my patients to use warm compresses on it to help it resolve faster.

Curtis Wong, MD

I guess your doctor is right.

+1

I guess your doctor is right in that 1 or 2 weeks are good enough time to recover from bruises. However, there are some people who have bruise tendency. For those people, it takes more until the bruises disappear. If you wait a little more, it will be all right.

Taek Keun Kwon, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after a blephroplasty

+1

Some patients take a longer time to heal. Perhaps you had more bruising than others in the early post-op period?

Is Yellow/purple Bruising Normal 14 Days After Lower Eyelid Surgery?

+1

When we as surgeon state a time frame for healing it is just an average or the top of the bell shaped curve. You fall on the long side of this curve, so 2 to 4 weeks is the norm for you. 

Post Op Bruising

+1
Bruising after surgery takes a variable amount of time to go away.  The bruising that you show in the photo would beast be treated with a V Beam laser.  This works great on making dark bruising fade in  days.  I would consider this if you are anxious to get rid of the bruises.  Otherwise they will go away but may take another week or two to completely go.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

This looks entirely normal for the surgery you had.

+1

Yes it will go away.  Just be patient and your body will take care of it.  You don't need to go to the health food store and get arnica-this product is completely ineffective.  

Postop Blepharoplasty Bruising

+1

When we as Plastic Surgeons inform patients about what they can expect after surgery we usually describe the average experience of the average patient. We also tend to minimize things like pain and bruising. The bruising you have is well within normal limits for blepharoplasty. I've not discovered over the years a way to make it disappear quicker. You can make it worse with any sun exposure at all. A little green tinted cover makeup will be your only solution until the discoloration is gone in a few weeks.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Bruise 14 days after lower blepharoplasty

+1

In most cases, bruising normally will resolve after about 1-2 weeks after lower eyelid surgery.  As you mentioned, everyone does heal differently, so it's not out of the question to still have some bruising at 14 days after your procedure.  You do just need to be patient and wait a bit longer and the bruise should resolve completely.  Some doctors feel that Arnica cream helps the bruising to go away a bit faster, so you could check with your surgeon about that possibility.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon