Two Years Post-op Rhinoplasty - Possible Complication / Infection?

I had rhinoplasty two years ago. One of the incisions over the past 2 years would occasionally get a little red and then it would go away. This last november I had drainage and swelling and was treated with Bactroban x 2 weeks. It got better. However, the last two days the tip of my nose on that side is painful when pressure is applied. I was just wondering if this is something that I should follow up with the surgeon? My dermatologist suggested that there might be a suture not dissolved.

Nasal Tip Redness may be possible infection after Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi mj83 in Texas,

Yes, areas of the nose that are tender, painful, red, or swollen may be signs and symptoms of an infection. Rhinoplasty surgeons may use internal stitches or implants that do no dissolve. Some patients trim their nose hairs or manipulate their nostrils (nose pickers) too frequently or aggressively, which may also promote infection. Mild infections usually resolve with antibacterial ointment or medication. Recurrent or severe nasal problems or patients who have had nasal implants should be evaluated by a nasal specialist. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Infection 2 Years after Rhinoplasty

+1

See your surgeon who knows exactly what was done during the original operation. A partially exposed suture or implant could be the source of a recurring infction.

Recurrent nose infection 2 years after nose job

+1

I would discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon. If there is a piece of foreign material present, it may need to be removed in order to achieve complete resolution of the wound healing problem.

Tender nasal tip 2 years after rhinoplasty

+1

It certainly is a bit unusual to have tenderness develop this far out from rhinoplasty surgery.

Given this, and your prior history of postoperative infection a few months ago, I would recommend you visit with your surgeon for a checkup. There could be an issue with a graft or suture. The operative surgeon would have the best idea of what may be happening and what treatment to recommend.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Recurrent Drainage Two Years Post-op Rhinoplasty

+1

Regarding: "Two Years Post-op Rhinoplasty - Possible Complication / Infection?
I had rhinoplasty two years ago. One of the incisions over the past 2 years would occasionally get a little red and then it would go away. This last november I had drainage and swelling and was treated with Bactroban x 2 weeks. It got better. However, the last two days the tip of my nose on that side is painful when pressure is applied. I was just wondering if this is something that I should follow up with the surgeon? My dermatologist suggested that there might be a suture not dissolved
."

Your surgeon would be the best one to tell you what this is rather than it it MAY be. It could be an infected permanent suture, infected grafting material or inclusion cyst. See your surgeon and find out.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Infection after rhinoplasty

+1

Redness and swelling are often signs of infection and should be evaluated immediately.  The urgency is greater in post-rhinoplasty patients since untreated infections can cause cartilage grafts to resorb even years after surgery.

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture irritation 2 years following Rhinoplasty

+1

It is exactly as the dermatologist suggested.  Often long-absorbing or permanent fine sutures are used in the tip of the nose to help shape the cartilages during rhinoplasty.  Sometimes they will work there way out to the surface of the skin or inside the nose.  It is usually easy to remove the remnant and solve the problem.

Arrange a follow up visit with your surgeon....I'm sure he or she will be happy to help

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Late Infection After Rhinoplasty

+1

Since you describe what appears to be an infection with drainage in the past, it is most likely you are experiencing the same.  Was the source of infection identified at the time of the last infection?  What sort of grafting materials if any were used?  Many of these questions will need to be answered by the operating surgeon, and I would suggest you follow up with him quickly.  Good Luck....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to tell you what is going on without an evalutation or knowing what was done intra-operatively. If you have premanent sutures or a graft, it may be infected? See your doctor.

Late inflammation post rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with your derm.  It sounds like you have a permanent stitch that has become infected and needs to come out.  Hopefully, on exam, it will be visible and easily removed.  I wouldn't recommend waiting on this.

sekj

Scott E. Kasden, MD