2 Years Post Nose Surgery: Tip is Still Swollen

Hello all, In August I will be approaching 2 years post-surgery (to fix a bump in my nose and a slightly downward tip). I'm very happy with the bridge of my nose, however the tip still retains a distinct ball-like appearance: this is largely due to the right side being still hard and generally misshapen, and the underside of the tip seems to hang down at a level that is not esthetically pleasing.

When I went to my doc he said it was fine and healed, but I'm quite unhappy. Any suggestions?

2 years after rhinoplasty

+1

Two years after your rhinoplasty it is unlikely that any remaining deformities are due to only swelling. What is going on can depend on the type of technique used to perform your rhinoplasty as well as if any grafts were placed in the tip of your nose. However, if the tip is too large is can be do placement of tip grafts, under-resection of the nasal tip cartilages or scar tissue formation in the tip of the nose. If the "underside" of the tip is hanging down this is most likely a "hanging columella." Many of these aesthetic concerns can be addressed with a revision rhinoplasty but it is truly difficult to tell without a photograph of your actual nose.

Nose Swollen Post Rhinoplasty

+1
A few thoughts.  First, the injection of a low dose of steroids can sometimes help soften any scar tissue that is present.  If not successful, the next step is to performed a limited tip rhinoplasty to correct the defect.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Without pictures or a face to face examination it is impossible to know what is going on or what should be done. If you see another surgeon be sure to bring the operative report and photos from the previous surgeon. It sounds like the alignment of the tip cartilages is off. If the previous rhinoplasty involved realignment of the tip cartilages via an internal approach the chance of this being the case is greater. In that case you would likely need revision via an open approach.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD