3 Years After Severe Weight Loss. Tummy Tuck Time?

I was 375lbs in 2008, at the tender age of 16. I lost weight (up to 190lbs) and started lifting weights, now I am at 230lbs. My question is, is it time for a tummy tuck, or do I need to lower my bodyfat before it is advisable? I plan on getting the loose skin around my chest fixed too. You can see the loose skin is around the lower abdominal region, it hangs off the waist above my hip bones/lower back area. It goes all the way to my belly button and forms some sort of "loose skin gut".

Massive weight loss in a male and options for correction

+1

Congratulations on achieving your goals. A staged approach would likely be required and may involve a circumferential belt lipectomy followed by a breast reduction which may require skin removal as well.

Lose as much weight as possible before tummy tuck.

+1

At 230 lbs. you're still overweight. You will get a better result if you get to 'rock bottom; before the tummy tuck. If you can't lose more weight, doing the tummy tuck now will still help.

You should also consider having several areas on your body done at the same time.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss

+1

It really depends on you and where you want to be.  If you are happy ath the weight you are at and feel that you can maintain this weight for the future then go for it.  If you tell me that you still want to lose some weight, then I would say you should wait for now and get to the weight that you are comfortable at.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Decide on goal body weight prior to body contouring surgery

+1

Ask yourself what a reasonable body weight would be- not your 'ideal' body weight, but a weight you could maintain the rest of your life. Once you've reached that weight, consult a board certified plastic surgeon with some experience in post-weightloss body contouring procedures.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

When is the time for a tummy tuck?

+1
2906anon,
congratulations on loosing the weight and getting into shape!  Looking at your pictures you seems to have done a tremendous job.
The question of when is the time for tummy tuck is best answered by this:  when your weight has stabilized.  If you are going to loose any more significant amount of weight, you will once again develop excess loose skin that will require a second tummy tuck.
Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD