3 Years After Breast Augmentation Surgery, Both my Breast Dropped a Whole Cup Size.

I wore D cup bras, but about three months ago I started noticing extra space in my bras; and just a month ago, I tried a C cup bra and fit perfectly. I had tried C cup bras before and they didn't nearly fit. Also, I've noticed that my breasts feel softer more natural. I know the odds of both my saline implants leaking at the same time and rate is unlikely. What can it be? I have not lost weight. If anything, I've gained less than five pounds. I have not had any pregnancy changes either.

Change in size of breast implants

+3

There are many reasons for changes, or apparent changes in sizes of breast implants.

You have mentioned some of them:  weight changes, pregnancy, but also simple aging, leakage of implants are also causes.  One of the very common causes is drooping of the breasts.  this is particularly a problem when patients select large implants, which stretch and thin the skin of the breasts.  the breasts droop more, and no longer appear to fill in the cup size they used to.

We of course don't know your situation without seeing your photos and examining you, but for many patients with this condition, a breast lift becomes necessary.  We discourage patients who have had thinning and drooping of their tissues from gettring yet larger implants, since this will only cause the breasts to thin and droop more.

Loss of cup size after saline breast augmentation

+2

I have noted that saline implants seem to lose upper pole volume after some period of time in certain patients.  Stretching of the lower pole of the breast skin may allow the the implant to sit lower, hence, under fill on top.  I think the saline inplant bag may stretch.  There is no evidence of saline loss, as long as the bag is not broken.A good solution is to change the saline implants to silicone gel.  If necessary, get some information on a lift.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Shrinking breasts

+2

As you say, bilateral saline deflations would be very uncommon but not impossible.  Generally when a patient thinks they are getting smaller it is their tissue thinning out with age ot weight loss.  Best plan is to go to a plastic surgeon for an exam.  An ultrasound will also tell if the implants are intact or deflated.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast size changes after breast augmentation

+2

Without knowing more about your history and seeing you in consultation I can only speculate as to several possibilities.  First of all it depends on what size implants you have as well as the amount of overlying breast tissue.  If you were wearing D cup bras, the implants are likely fairly large and patients with larger implants often get some progressive tissue thinning of the overlying breast tissue from the constant "pressure" of the implants against the breast tissue. So even though the implant does not necessarily "loose volume", it can "thin out" the overlying breast tissue with time.  Also the implants can change position with time. Most commonly with larger implants, they can "bottom out" and fall downward. In this case, this can also effect the way a breast fits within a bra and can cause size issues.  Finally, there are a number of physiologic reasons breast size can vary with even minor changes in weight,  changes in age, or even changes with hormonal changes during the normal monthly cycle.  It is unlikely the implants are both "leaking", but my recommendation is to go back and see your plastic surgeon to ally your concerns. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD

Reasons for Breast Size Shrinkage

+1
You have ruled out the usual causes of loss of breast volume -  weight changes, Birth Control pills or other hormones, pregnancy,  aging which causes decrease volume of the superior pole of the breasts. In your case it is unlikely that  leakage of  saline implants will occur at the same time and rate. Therefore it is more likely  drooping of the breasts and loss of superior volume causing a shift of volume lower with the appearance of smaller breasts.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast size decreasing.

+1

This will best be solved during a consultation with your surgeon.   Discuss all options such as workouts you are doing with him/her.  Bilateral even deflation is uncommon but not impossible.

Loss of breast volume

+1

If your breasts somehow got smaller it is either from the implants deflating or you breast native volume going down. An exam would be helpful.

+1

You need to be examined in person to determine the exact issue. Seek consults in your area from boarded PSs. From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski

LOSS OF FULLNESS THREE YEARS LATER....???????

+1

BREASTS CAN CHANGE AFTER AUGMENTATION FOR SEVERAL REASONS.

HERE ARE JUST A FEW REASONS...

LOSS OF WEIGHT,

PREGNANCY BREAST FEEDING,

WORKING OUT,

SALINE IMPLANTS CAN BECOME SMALLER OVER TIME.

GAINING WEIGHT(BUT NOT IN THIS CASE PROBABLY)

THERE ARE SOME OTHERS BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSULT WITH YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON .

THERE ARE TREATMENTS THAT CAN BE EASILY BE PERFORMED WITH NOT MUCH DOWN TIME IF NECESSARY.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

DR. KIMBERLY HENRY

SAN FRANCISCO CA

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Change in Breast Implants

+1

Although rare, it is possible for both implants to deflate at nearly the same time however there may be other answers such as the ones already listed.   Contact your plastic surgeon and schedule an examination for a definitive answer.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon