2 Years After Asian Eyelid Surgery and You Can See the Inner White Part of My Skin, Normal? (photo)

Hello, I had a non-cutting method of double eyelid surgery two years ago. I do not know how to specifically explain this but if you look closely at my eye, right under my eyelid you can see the inner/white part of my skin. Is this visible? I wanted to know if this happened because my surgeon was bad or if I did anything wrong, or...I am quite clueless. Thank you for reading.

Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

From the photo you submitted, It's difficult for me to see the crease. Otherwise, your eye does not appear to look unusual.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian Blepharoplasty and inside part of skin showing

+1

I can see that it is showing a little more than what usually happens. This is unusual. Ectropion is likely one way to explain this but I think that you whole eyelid margin is involuting inwards. Also your eyelid crease appears on the low side. It may be due to the fixation of the eyelid margin closer to the lash line which might have pulled up on your eyelid margin. The solution can be if you had the fixation done again but in the more traditional way with more forward thinking approach such as the orbicularis levator fixation technique.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have mild lid margin ectropion.

+1

This is slight overrotation of the eyelid margin.  This is within the realm of expected results with this type of surgery.  I personally do not feel that is the result of substandard care by your surgeon.  It is an expected risk of having the procedure.  At two years out, removing the sutures that are making the fold, may or may not have an effect on this ectropion.  Ultimately there is no substitute for a personal consultation.

Asian eyelid suture technique complications

+1

Hi GirlfromNYC,

In the early period after this surgical technique the lid can be rotated out a bit making that lid edge a little visible but that settles and this can be expected.  However, if this is a new finding this far out from surgery that's different.  I need a little more information to really help you but the short of it is. . . Could the suture technique over rotate your eyelid a bit.  Sure.  Is it an issue?  Not in the first 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  I recommend a reevaluation by your surgeon and or a good oculoplastic surgeon.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon