It Has Been a Year and my One Breast is Still Draining and Bleeding What Should I Do?

I had a breast reduction 1 year ago a tiny spot on the right nipple area wont heal still drains and bleeds ,she operated a second time and it healed all but that same spot that still drains and bleeds

Breast Reduction - It Has Been a Year and my One Breast is Still Draining and Bleeding What Should I Do?

+1

It is certainly not normal to have drainage from a breast (or any other area) one year after the surgery.  It sounds like there is some retained suture material that may have been left behind, even after the second surgery.  I would probably advise having that area re-excised somewhat wider.  I realize that that's unpleasant but it may be what is needed.

Of course, this can only be fully assessed by someone who can examine you in person and who, ideally, has access to the surgical procedure report (operative report) for your breast reduction.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Draining and bleeding one year out

+1

The only way to figure out why you are draining and bleeding at one year out is to perform an exam.  If there were any permanent sutures placed, perhaps this is the cause of your problem.  But without an exam it is hard to say.

Draining/Bleeding 1 Year after Breast Reduction?

+1

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  if this area remains a problem you may want to calmly and in a non-accusatory fashion ask for her diagnosis.  If your plastic surgeon seems uncertain you may want to politely ask for a referral  for a second opinion.

This type of situation is often related to retained foreign body (for example long lasting/permanent sutures)  or  unhealthy tissue ( fat necrosis).  

In person examination will be important in making the correct diagnosis and treatment plan.

Still draining 1 year after surgery

+1

Without examining you it is very difficult to offer advice. I assume you are continuing to see your surgeon so I would ask her what is happening. You could also ask her to refer you to another surgeon in your community for a second opinion (if she makes the referral, then the surgeons can talk to each other to discuss your problem). Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon