What's the Difference Between Fractional and Yag Laser?

I have ice pick acne scars. I went for a free consultation and they said I would receive Fractional laser therapy.

Later on I went to their website and noticed they are using the 1064nm ND: YAG laser. It does not mention anything about Fractional. I would like to know the difference between Fractional and the 1064nm ND: YAG laser or if it's the same thing. Also, how effective is Yag Laser for acne scars?

Fractional vs. 1064 Lasers

+3

Hello Shei2i,

The question you are asking has to do with two different apsects of lasers. The first, the "fractional" technology has to do with the pattern of the laser beam. In fractional technology, the beam of light is split into thousands of microbeams. In this manner, the laser treatment typically does not effect the whole face, but rather a small %. The goal behind fractional technology was to create a resurfacing technique that had similar or like results as traditional CO2 and Erbium laser resurfacing without the redness, peeling and extended recovery. Whether the technology has accomplished this is open to debate, but essentially the Fraxel and others like it were developed for those patients with an appetite for traditional laser resurfacing but with less downtime.

The 1064 Nd:Yg laser is a particular type of laser, rather than a particular type of beam technology. The 1064 wavelength comes in two varieties we know of, q-switched and long pulsed. The Q-switched 1064 lasers are most often used for pigmented lesions such as tattoos, sun spots, freckles, etc. although some manufacturers do have an FDA approval for wrinkles & collagen stimulation. The other type of 1064 laser is a long pulsed 1064. Within this category there are several different laser manufacturers but this type of laser is most often used for leg veins and hair removal (dark skin types). But some of these machines do have FDA approved indications for wrinkles and collagen stimulation.

To sumamrize, the short answer to your question is that the fractional technology and the 1064 wavelength are different because one represents a beam splitting technology and the other represents a specific type of laser. Fractional technology is used for 1550, 2790, 2940 and 10,600 wavelengths, which are all different types of lasers and all different from the 1064. We do use our q-switched 1064 laser for acne scars but more often for dark acne scars (dark skin types) and for mild textured acne scars. If the scars are more severe (ice pick), you may want to consider fractional technology like the Fraxel or even Erbium or CO2 resurfacing.

Hope this helps.