Is the Y Lift Worth It?

according to the Y Lift web site, Dr. Yan Trokel developed a non-surgical minimally invasive procedure that requires no incisions, stitches, or general anesthesia. Dr. Trokel uses "a specialized titanium instrument which is inserted beneath the skin and then maneuvered throughout designated parts of the facial region to instantly lift the muscles, fascia and fat underlying the skin. Once lifted, hyaluronic acid, a substance which is naturally present in the skin is used to hold the newly elevated position in place at which point the titanium tube is removed from the treatment site. The rejuvenated face is then "sculpted" to accent and highlight each individual's beauty."

Is the Y Lift worth it?

Be careful in assessing proprietary procedures like the Y Lift

+5

Take a close look at the website of Dr. Trokel. Many of the patients who show any type of result also had additional procedures beyond the "Ylift". A number of them have had Refirme, a radio frequency treament.

It is also troubling by so many of the after pictures are only shown 2 days after the procedure. This is not adequate to assess the actual effectiveness of a procedure. Frankly it sounds too good to be true. Can't recommend this service.

Look for pictures one year out to decide on Y Lift value and durability

+4

It seems that some physicians in a difficult economy are trying to brand what they are doing.

Whatever the brand, the way to tell if there is value is to look for photos before and after at least six months and even better one year out. In addition the photos should be the same views (front,side, and 3/4) with the hair back and the same lighting without makeup.

No matter what injury there is to the face, even a sunburn, will make faces look better for short periods of time. It has been said that you could beat most faces with a fly-swatter and they would look better due to the swelling for days.

We do the liquid lift with the understanding that they are a short-term fix and do not give the value of a surgical intervention. However, there is no down time and can buy time for a patient who has neither the time or resources to go through a more effective and durable technique.

You may draw your own conclusions after review of many branded web-sites.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Explore your mini facelift options

+3

The Y Lift is not your only option and I can't imagine it will be much different than other filler injections with HA. He is describing I suspect the use of a cannula (blunt tip) rather than a needle so there would be less bruising but that is about the only difference.

There is nothing wrong with a branded mini facelift procedure per se—they often produce excellent and lasting results—but patients should be aware that there are many options out there. The Y Lift appears not to be a surgical procedure so it will not have the effectiveness of one. If a procedure is based on a single doctor's experience, the medical community cannot vouch for it—so buyer beware.

Take a look at procedures that have been adopted by many doctors, such as the Lite Lift, Quick Lift, or LifeStyle Lift. In addition, shop around and check your doctor's credentials. Many mini-facelift procedures today are done by doctors from areas outside of plastic surgery; you will likely have a better result if you choose a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Plastic board certification.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

The "New and Improved" Facelift

+2
I don't promote any trademarked facelifts in my practice. The names of my facelift are the names of my patients. Samantha Smith (not a real patient) would receive the Samantha Smith facelift  I customize each facelift to the very specific needs of the individual.   The link to my facelift gallery is below. You will see many different people with different aging concerns. 

The trend of trademarked facelifts is one I find disturbing.  Each facelift claiming to be better than the other. The price of a trademarked cookie cutter facelifts is variable, and part of the price you are paying for is marketing. But, the cost in terms of complications, unsatisfactory results or possible reoperations could be very significant. The results of a good facelift are long lasting. The results of a bad facelift are forever.

My time on the day of surgery will benefit my patients the rest of their lives. Personally, for me, it would be a soulless pursuit for my office to just collect the patients payment and then rush through the a 'cookie cutter' procedure and obtain a mediocre result. The real joy is doing my very best knowling my patients and their families have trusted me with their faces and their well-being and providing the best result possible to the patient.
One size fits all surgery will rarely proviude patients with the desired results. Today the popular media is filled with reports of the "latest and greatest" aesthetic treatments and procedures (including surgical procedures) many of which come and go in the blink of an eye. In some instances the "latest thing" may merely turn out to be ineffective, but in some cases it may turn out to have an unacceptably high risk of complications, and in a few cases it may turn out to be, quite frankly, dangerous.

To be fair, I am not familiar with this particular "brand" of facelift. It is more important for me to continue to stay on top of proven methods than to stay on top of marketing trends. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

The Y lift

+2
There are many proprietary lifts in the market. I usually reference a paper by Dr. Peter Adamson comparing the various lifts. It found that the deep plane facelift had the longest longevity of all facelifts, about 7 years in duration for improvement.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Y-Lift ..the newest buzz word in a long line of minimally invasive procedures

+2

Everybody wants a Cadillac at a Buick price.  It's humanity.  Furthermore, the old adage that your mom told you, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Every few months, somebody comes up with a patented word.  The y-lift is exactly this.  Surgeons have been volumizing the face giving a liquid lift with Restylane, Juvederm, etc for YEARS.  This is nothing new.  The key is that these results are TEMPORARY.  No amount of marketing and glitzy TV shows will change that.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Y-Lift, temporary results

+2

The ‘Y’ lift sounds like a proprietary invention by one surgeon that is not well accepted by anyone else in the medical community. It does not sound like it is actually surgically lifting tissues, just placement of hyaluronic acid, which is temporary. You should critically look at the before and after photos to see if there is truly any changes and ask how long the results have lasted.

Y Lift

+2

Be careful! Be very careful! Rather than shopping for a so-called minimally invasive technique online, it is best to consult with one or more well-trained, highly skilled, experienced facial plastic or general plastic surgeons who will give you the best answers to your questions as to what techniques will best benefit you.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are other better options.

+2

Hi,

I agree with the other physicians. If something is too good to be true, then it usually is. There have been many attempts at scarless procedures, but most of the time there are complications and the results are not so promising. If you are searching for a minimally invasive procedure, why not just go with the fillers. They have been tested, FDA approved, and provide satisfactory results.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Y Lift

+2

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is .With a "mini" procedure the results will not be as dramatic and the duration of improvement will be less. That is not bad as long as it is consistent with your goals and will meet your expectations.