Xrays for Chin Implant?

Hi, I am considering a chin implant, what Xrays should I ask my physician for before considering this procedure, to determine the bones in my jaw. Would an OPG (panoramic xray), show any asymmetry in the jaw bone ? If the jaw bone is not symmetrical, then does this rule out an implant ? And finally, what type/brand of implant would broaden the chin area on a long, thin face ?

Are x-rays necessary before a chin implant?

+1

A good physician can determine if you are a chin implant candidate without an x-ray. In general, x-rays are not necessary prior to having a chin implant. If there is an issue with the mandible, (which would require a maxillofacial surgeon to correct) then an x-ray would help. There are a variety of implant sizes available -- an in-person exam is necessary. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified surgeon who has experience with chin augmentations. He/she may use computer imaging software, which can give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. He/she will also be able to make recommendations for you regarding implant type and size based on your individual circumstances. Thanks and good luck!

Xrays for Chin Implant?

+1

I have not routinely found the need for xrays in this case unless there is some significant problem noted on physical exam. Let your surgeon make that determination. He will also be able to show you which implant would work best based on his examination.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Xrays for Chin Implant?

+1

X-Rays or CT scans are not typically required unless someone requires a custom implant due to severe facial asymmetry. There are several companies that make safe and dependable facial implants in a variety of sizes. Your consultation will answer all of these questions and should put you at ease. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon