Xray Detected Possible Rupture with Capsular Contracture 4 Years Post Op, Should I Worry?

Hi I had silicone Allergan textured implants fitted about four years ago, with my elasticity being very poor and only feeling the lumps and bumps of the implant whilst axamining myself I decided to go to the doctors for help. I also have capsular contracture in the right breast and my doctor agreed it was difficult to examine so sent me for a scan. Im now worried as they want to send me for an MRI scan as they think the right breast which has capsular contracure has ruptured. Should I be worried

MRI for possible implant rupture

+3

MRI is the most sensitive test to obtain to determine whether or not a breast implant is ruptured.  I wouldn't worry until you find out the results, and it is fairly easy to replace them.

Implant rupture

+3

MRI is the recommended method to detect a rupture in a breast implant.  If there is any suspicion, you should discuss this with your surgeon so that he can examine you and order the MRI if necessary.  Since your implant is only 4 years old, it is produced with very strict standards and the quality is very good.  Recent-generation implants are much less likely to "ooze" into the tissues compared to older-generation implants.  The implant manufacturer should also provide you with replacement implants in the event of an implant failure.  I would not become too anxious about a rupture until you are certain about the results of the MRI.  The worst case scenario is that you would need another surgery to replace the implants and make any corrections to your breast asymmetry or sagging which has developed since your 1st surgery.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture

+3

An MRI is the best way to detect whether or not the implant is ruptured, but even it is not foolproof.  Whether ruptured or not, the real issue is the severity of the capsular contracture and the palpable lumps.  Surgery to correct this should include changing the implant regardless of whether it is ruptured or intact.  If you are considering surgery, the MRI does not really change the surgical plan, and in my opinion, only adds to the cost.

Good Luck

Donald Griffin, MD

Silicone Breast Implant Rupture

+3

This is a common concern of patients with silicone implants.  I Would be concerned because you feel lumps and bumps around the implants and you have a capsular contracture.  The FDA advise a MRI at 3 years and at two year intervals after.  I suggest a physical exam first because there are false positive with the MRI.  You have had an exam and the positive finding by the doctors and therefore, I would do the MRI.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Ruptured Silicone Implants

+1
Your surgeon is correct that an MRI scan is the most appropriate way to image implants for rupture, other than exploring the breast operatively. While silicone implants have not been shown to cause disease, we know that ruptured silicone can travel to other parts of the body.

If the MRI is consistent with rupture, the implant should be removed and replaced. 1/10 times, the implant will not be ruptured. In your case, with physical findings, you are more likely to have a true rupture.

This should be attended to, but should not be cause for alarm.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I would consider getting an MRI to confirm the diagnosis if you do not want to do that I would just go forward and have the implants removed and replaced

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC