Is XOFT Radiation a Good Option for BCC on Forehead After Several Staph Infections? (photo)

My dermatologist suggested XOFT radiation instead of surgery. I had all the mapping and prep work done and was ready to start treatment, only to receive a letter of denial from my insurance. (Anthem Blue Cross). They said it wasn't "medically necessary". What are my alternatives? I will not risk another staph infection through surgery. Should I just let it go and hope for the best?

Basal Cell Cancer (BCC) treatment

+1

Mohs surgery is considered the gold standard and is covered by insurance. Personally I would steer clear of radiation because you risk developing many additional skin cancers at the site of radiation. I would not let it go either because the cancer can grow larger and necessitate a much larger surgery.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Is XOFT Radiation a Good Option for BCC on Forehead After Several Staph Infections?

+1

Mohs excision is the gold standard for removal of a recurrent eyelid basal cell carcinoma. I am not sure why you have experienced Staph infections previously but there are things that can be done to minimize that risk prior to and after Mohs excision. Radiation is typically reserved for very unhealthy patients who cannot tolerate surgery or very aggressive tumors that cannot be fully removed with surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon