Is Xeomin Being Marketed and Available Yet?

I remember last March there was an injunction to stop Merz from marketing Xeomin. From what I understood that was suppose to last 10 months, so I keep expecting to see a splash of advertising for Xeomin this month but have yet to hear anything. Does anyone know what is going on with it, and when it will be available? I love Botox but feel it is too costly, and welcome an alternative.

Xeomin is now available in Boston

+2

Yes, our sales representative has informed us that Xeomin, a botulism toxin is now being marketed to the public as an alternative to Botox and Dysport.  I would expect the effects of Xeomin to last the same amount of time as the other brands of botulinum toxin.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Xeomin Makes An Excellent Alternative For Botox Resistant Persons

+2

Xeomin has indeed been available for some time, however, it's only approved indication was for medical, rather than aesthetic purposes--analogous to the old days with Botox when it, too, was approved first only for certain opthalmologic and neurologic indications. The delay in the introduction of Xeomin, to my understanding, was simply the manufacturer's limitation to marketing it for its aesthetic uses.

With three neuromodulators now available, it is probable worthwhile to take this opportunity to discuss the possible place of each in the physician's aesthetic toolbox. 

I have considerable experience using Botox for aesthetic purposes, having started doing so in 1991, eleven years prior to its official FDA-approval for this purpose. Throughout that time, from time to time, I have encountered individuals who had at first responded well to treatment, but who, after two or more prior treatments, demonstrated either no response, weaker response or shorter duration of response.

The medical literature estimates the development of antibodies in the range of 3%-13%. However, it seems that  even among those with proven antibody formation few actually demonstrate any significant loss of responsivity to further treatments. This of course does not rule out that some may indeed do so and this fits my own experience in twenty-one years of injecting Botox for dynamic wrinkles.

An increased chance for promoting antibody formation may also be related to the routine practice of bringing patients back after just two weeks to touch up any areas that may not have completely responded to treatment. For this reason, it is currently deemed wiser to bring patients back no sooner than a month following treatment for touch ups.

When there exists no other obvious explanation for loss of response or shortening of duration of response (such as changes in dosing or concentration, etc.), and antibody formation is suspected, a trial of Xeomin, another bolulinum neuromodulator would be reasonable

Xeomin is essentially a naked  Botox, stripped of the proteins that come attached to Botox that are believed responsible for triggering the development of antibodies. I have found Xeomin to helpful among the few patients I have had recently  in whom I have suspected antibody-related resistance, In such instances I have seen full responsivity restored.

Although Dysport, the third approved botulinum neuromodulator available in the U.S. market, does contain additional proteins, I have nonetheless also found this product to be useful as an alternative in patients who appear to have grown resistant after several successful prior treatments.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Xeomin now available

+2

Our representative from Merz Aesthetics has informed us that Xeomin is indeed now available.  

Ritu Saini, MD

+2

Yes, we just received new marketing materials from the Xeomin rep, so it should be available once again.  

Xeomin Alternative to Botox.

+2

Hi anon.  If you are looking for an alternative to Botox, we would look no further than Dysport.  Although Xeomin is available, it takes more of the product to get the same duration as Botox, which defeats the purpose of any lower per unit cost.  

We use Dysport, are able to price it lower than Botox and because we can provide more equivalent units at a lower cost than Botox, we get as good or better duration than Botox.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Is Xeomin available yet?

+2

Xeomin technically never left the market, but Merz wasn't able to advertise it publicly and only physicians who had already had Merz accounts were able to order and use Xeomin. The injunction has been lifted, but it will be some time before a full-blown marketing front will probably happen, hence you haven't seen much mention yet. At this time, I don't think it's a preferable product to Botox or Dysport, other than the price point, because the product seems to definitely not last as long on anyone, per even their own studies we see. If it hits the market big enough though, it could potentially cause the other neurotoxin makers to adjust their pricing or promos, which will benefit doctors and consumers. But I don't see them as comparable products, at this point.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Xeomin is back on the market

+2

Yes, Xeomin is back on the market. It actually never left the market, just that the company  cannot promote to the public. It's always been available in my office for patients who prefer Xeomin over Botox. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Xeomin in the United States

+2

I have just heard this week that Xeomin is back on the market and available to purchase at any time so this is good news. Hopefully the lower price will cause downward pressure on the market and we will see lower prices for all the neurotoxins.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
Yes, Xeomin is available to the general public. It is equivalent to Botox in its dosing and efficacy. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Xeomin cosmetic in Los Angeles

+1

I regularly use Xeomin and believe it to be a very effective product for cosmetic treatments on the forehead and around the eyes. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS