Is It Possible to Make my Mouth Wider? (photo)

I would like to have my mouth appear wider. My lips are quite thin and they often look odd paired with my large cheeks and nose. What kind of procedures would help with that look? Also, the corners of my lips are basically non-existent, would injections there make my cheeks puff out less or would I just need to get the lines filled?

Mouth Widening by Commissurotomy

+1

A mouth can be made wider by a procedure known as a commissurotomy. This is where skin is removed from beyond the exsting corners of the mouth and the vermilion/mucosa advanced outward to cover the area where the skin was removed. While it can effectively make the mouth wider, it does so at the price of some small scars around the corners. This trade-off has to be seriously considered in a purely cosmetic reason for mouth widening or commissure expansion.

Wider mouth

+1

In my 40 years of practice I have only done one ( but a successful one) operation to extend the corners of mouth. In addition the cornerwere raised as would also benefit you.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation/ enhancement

+1

Hello 'Idonteven', thanks for your question.  There IS a way to widen your oral aperture through surgical incisions of your commissures and advancements of the mucosa, which we sometimes do for microstomia reconstruction cases, but I would not recommend it in your case.  The width of your mouth actually nicely balances the aesthetics of your face and any attempts to widen it can detract from the feminine qualities and proportions to your face, leading to a masculinizing effect.  Thus, I would not obsess over it too much.  One thing that could enhance the cosmetic appearance of your mouth is to have thicker, fuller lips with the help of fillers, which can be performed safely as a simple office procedure.  The key here is moderation to avoid the 'blowfish' effect, which unfortunately is fairly prevalent here in southern California.  I recommend having a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who knows the lip anatomy well and stays conservative with your lip augmentation procedure to give you a beautiful, aesthetic enhancement to your lips, just in time for Valentine's day. Hope that helps! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to make mouth wider?

+1

It is possible to make the lips fuller and it is possible to raise the corners of the lips, but it is not possible to make the mouth wider.  Fillers or surgery can be used to help with fullness in the lips or raise the corners of the mouth.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon