What is this lump by my hipbone after tumescent lipo? It started squishy and now it has hardened to feel like muscle. (photo)

It formed at 2 weeks out, and I am now 1 month post procedure. I asked my PS and he brushed me off and said it was normal. I don't feel it's normal. It stays swollen and the rest of my abdomen is losing the swelling. It started squishy like fat or fluid, and now has hardened to feel almost like muscle. It's only on one side and is not getting any smaller. I'm concerned it may end up permanent.

A few thoughts

This may represent residual firm scar tissue that simply needs more time to soften up.

It may also be a residual seroma.

Seromas are fluid buildup that persists after surgery. They generally need to be drained with a needle and syringe in order for them to disappear. When they initially form, they feel like a squishy liquid underneath the skin.

Eventually, a capsule of scar tissue forms around the fluid collection.

This often feels like a firm mass later on.

An ultrasound would help determine if you have a seroma.

If you have medical insurance, you may want your plastic surgeon to order an ultrasound test to check it out.

When these are not drained early on, it becomes more and more difficult to have them removed without surgery down the line.

I suggest you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. If you don't get the care you need, then consider a second opinion or perhaps visiting your primary care doctor.

Hopefully this is something that will get better on its own.

Consider reposting on RealSelf if you need more answers or if things change.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Lump after liposcution

Thank you for you question and photo.

It seems like you have developed a hematoma (collection of blood under the skin). Only an in person exam and evaluation will be able to tell for sure.

I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon again, and if you are still uncomfortable with his explanation seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

What is this lump by my hipbone after tumescent lipo? It started squishy and now it has hardened to feel like muscle.

Appears as a hematoma or seroma. Needs in person examination in order to determine exactly what it is...  

Contour deformity after liposuction

Thank you for the picture. This is not normal. I can't tell you exactly what it is without a physical examination. You need to go back to your plastic surgeon and demand that he or she examines you and gives you a better reason and course of action for this area.

Liposuction

After liposuction developing a "squishy' lump then became hard, could be a collection of blood (hematoma) that now is a clotted blood and is hard. usually if it is blood it will begin to soften as the blood starts to dissolve. Sonogram will tell you what it is and your doctor will advise on the treatmnet