My Nose Is Flat And Wide, Am I A Candidate For Rhinoplasty?

i am 14 and i want to get a nose job when i am 18 but my nose is not normal i don't know how to describe it because it's really weird it's flat from the top and fat from the sides. my parents and everyone in my family has a normal nose except from me and my sister her nose is also like mine but i have never seen ANYONE with a nose like ours so i really want to know why its like that. i have never had breathing difficulties or any other problems with my nose but it looks weird. please help me.

Rhinoplasty in the teen years

+2

Yes, you would be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty to address  your concerns.  I would discuss this thoroughly with your plastic surgeon, and it may help to bring in some pictures to help  both of you focus on what is important to you.  I remind my patients that the surgeon has to work with what is available to him, and to point out what the limitations might be in regards to your "hard" (bone) and " soft" tissue.  I also would wait a few years to allow a little more maturity of the nasal structures.  I think you would be  happy with the results of a rhinoplasty

You will benefit from rhinoplasty

+2

The appearance of your nose will almost certainly be improved by rhinoplasty. In my practice I judge whether a patient of your age is suitable to proceed based on their maturity when I talk to them and whether they have strong parental support for the surgery.  If your family does not support you having surgery at age 14, you should wait until you are older.  Because your nose is wide and has thick skin it will take some time for the skin to recontour to the shape the surgeon is able to create so it is very important that you approach the surgery with a realistic attitude knowing the swelling may be slow to settle and the features of your nasal tip may never be quite as delicate as you hope.  In general though I believe you are likely to be happy with the improvement that can be achieved.

Nicholas Carr, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely, but try to wait until you are 16.

+2

Your nose is that way because of genetics, and your concerns are very common among the patients we see desiring a rhinoplasty.  You are a great candidate for a rhinoplasty but I would urge you to wait until you are at least 16 as you many still be growing.  In the mean time, you can set up a consultation with a physician who can do 3D imaging to show you what it will look like after surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Under age 17

+2

You appear to have what many of us call an infantile nose. You are a  very good candidate and may be able to do this before age 18

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Candidate for rhinoplasty

+2

You will eventually be an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty.  I would highly recommend waiting until at least 16 years old.  Your issues are a combination of excess width in the lower portion of your nose as well as along the dorsum or bridge.  Both are amendable to correction.  The changes that can be created would truly make a lovely change to your appearance while maintaining your ethnicity and character.  Hope this helps!

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose job a good thing

+2

Your nose is exactly as you say: broad and flat.  It can definitly be helped with surgery.  This will involve reshaping what is there as much as taking away. Since your skin is thick, the surgeon may need to add cartilage to get good definition of the tip.  I agree with the other plastic surgeons that it might be able to be done when you are 16.  I see a few patients like yourself every year, but every nose is unique and you should see a plastic surgeon who has a real interest in operating on noses.  Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

A quite reasonable candidate for a rhinoplasty

+2

Being unhappy with the appearance of your nose and with a real "deformity"/aesthetic deficiency present, you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. Your concerns are quite reasonable and when performed with expertise, you should anticipate a significant and worthwhile improvement.

Though some will perform a rhinoplasty on girls who are 14 years old, many others, including myself, generally recommend waiting until at least 16 years of age.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Wide, Flat Nose

+2

You are not alone in having a nose wider than you would like.  You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  Multiple structures in your nose cause the widened appearance including the nasal bones, the septum, and the other cartilages.

A rhinoplasty procedure can be very gratifying for the young individual who feels self conscious about their appearance.

During your procedure, your surgeon will narrow the bones and cartilages to give you a beautiful appearance.  the flatness along the back of your nose will be improved by these manuevers.

I agree that waiting until you are done growing (usually age 16 to 18) is important.  Good luck!

Gilbert Lee, MD

Candidate for rhinoplasty

+2

Don't worry, your complaints are common among patients seeking rhinoplasty. It appears that the excess width in your nose is being caused by midline separation of the paired middle and lower cartilages. This is very amenable to correction. You should wait until you are a little older (many girls are ok at 16) but definitely get it done. You will be happy with the improvement.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

Your goal for a thin aesthetic nose and profile may not be possible.  There are certain limitations in rhinoplasty, the thickness of your skin and quality of the underlying cartilage and bone.  You can look at features of noses that you like but it is most important to know that you can not put someone else's nose on you.