What is Wrong with my Stomach, Can I Still Get a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hello Drs, please help me. I am 40 years and I have 3 children. one was normal birth and two 2-section. I am interested in have a TT. I am 5"4 and 73 kg. My stomach is flaccid/ soft below the belly button but it is quite firm above the Belly button. When I lie down on my back the stomach is quite flat. The Lower belly is easierly pinchable but the upper part is not very easy to pinch. Lower stamach skin sags however the top skin in quite firm. Upper stomach protrudes

Tummy tuck with diastasis

+3

Hi there,

Your situation is very common after multiple pregnancies.

During the pregnancy, in the third trimester, your rectus(six pack) muscles which are vertical and sit together along the front of your tummy are designed to separate.  The connection between them becomes weak and stretches.  

If this doesn't repair itself after the pregnancy is finished, then it stays as a gap and very often forms a bulge exactly as you describe in the upper part of the tummy.

The loose skin of the lower tummy is just the result of the skin stretching of pregnancy.

A good tummy tuck will repair all of this - the loose skin is taken away, and the gap between the rectus muscles, called a diastasis, repaired.  The trade off for you is a long, low scar at the same level as your C-section scar.

The only thing to really understand is that this surgery cannot make you flat if you're overweight, and have fat deposited inside the abdomen, around the organs. The surgery (tummy tuck) can get to and reduce any fatty tissue outside the abdominal wall muscles, but none within it.  

Reducing intrabdominal fat is up to you.  It can only be achieved by weight loss.

I hope this helps, and all the very best to you.

Howard Webster Plastic Surgeon

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal wall muscle repair at the same time with Tummy tuck

+3

Thanks for your photos and questions. You are really a good candidate for tummy tuck with abdominal wall muscle repair, as you commented before your pregnancies have been the reason of your sagging skin and flaccid abdomen. Find a Board certified plastic surgeon with experience to perform your surgery. Best wishes!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

+2

Nothing is wrong you have post pregnancy excess skin and fat. That only a full tummy tuck with muscle repair can correct! 

Post Partum Changes

+2

The changes you are describing are consistent with postpartum changes associated with pregnancy.  Intra-abdominal weight gain, loose rectus muscles, stretched lower abodimal skin and fat around the wiastline are all changes typical of pregnancy.  Exercise and diet will help with the weight loss but does not tyically correct the muscle and skin changes. A tummy tuck after some additional weight loss would give you the best cosmetic outcome. All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

What is Wrong with my Stomach, Can I Still Get a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Tummy tuck should address the loose skin and the abdominal wall laxity that you describe that is present below the belly button.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck

+2

good afternoon!

looking at your photos, you most certainly would benefit form a tummy tuck.  You have excess skin, and from your description is sounds like you have lax abdominal fascia from having kids- this fascia is tightened with a tummy tuck to give you a flat stomach.

Be sure your physician is certified by the American Board fo Plastic Surgery

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD

Good tummy tuck candidates

+1

It appears as though you're an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Having done many of them, I keep the incision nice and low in the bikini line.  This allows me to remove as much skin and stretch marks as possible while making the tummy as flat as possible at the same time.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

You are an ideal patient for a full tummy tuck because of your loose skin and muscle diastasis.

Manuel Diaz, MD

What is Wrong with my Stomach, Can I Still Get a Tummy Tuck

+1

There is nothing wrong with your stomach.  You have undergone normal post partal changes with laxity of muscles and excess skin.  A full tummy tuck would help you get back to a better more trimmed abdominal area. Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Tummy tuck

+1

You are a good tummy tuck candidate.  The rectus muscles have spread following the pregnancies and C-sections and need to be tightened to deal with the bulging of your lower abdomen.

Robert L. Kraft, MD