What is Wrong with my Neck? I Dislike My Profile. (photo)

I am not really what sure is wrong with my neck. I am 29 and fairly in shape I have come to really dislike my profile. Is there anything that can be done?

What is Wrong with my Neck? I Dislike My Profile.

+2

Aesthetically speaking the chin appears weak and there's excess fatty tissue in the neck.  The aesthetically ideal profile has the chin approximnating an imaginmary vertical line drwan down from the lower lip.  IMHO, men should approach that imaginary line, while woman should be about 1/4 inch behind the line.  Your chin is quite far back behind that ideal line.  

The chin is best augmented using a silastic, anatomical shaped chin implant placed through an incision iunder the chin.  This allows the muscles, to be elevated and not disrupted (as occurs with an incision insdie the mouth) which may result in chin ptosis years later.  Liposuction., of the neck can be performed at the same time and the procedures should take about 30 - 40 minutes.

IMHO, there are set ideal aesthetic principles that dicate beauty.  When these are understood and followed by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, naturally beauty can and is created in a relaible and consistent manner.   

Improving profile of neck

+2

You could consider chin augmentation and possible neck (submental) liposuction to improve your facial balance.

A physical exam would allow for a better assessment and computer morphing would better let you determine if the changes make the improvements you're looking for.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Options to improve neck and profile

+1

Several things in the neck are creating profile issues.  Fat present in the neck both above and below the platysmal muscle needs to be removed, and a platysmaplasty (tightening of the platysma) will create a 90 degree angle neck once the fat has been removed in the submental area.  A small chin implant will enhance the retrusive chin and further improve the length of the jaw line.

Unhappy neck patient

+1

Based  on your photos it appears that you have a few things that could be improved upon to help your profile, first you have a slightly deficient chin which causes your neck line to look blunted.  You have good skin quality, but may have some excess subcutaneous and even possibly subplatysmal fat that if removed with submental liposuction and direct lipectomy along with submentoplasty and a chin implant would do nicely for you. 

Mark Ginsburg, DO
Media Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with your Profile

+1

Based on your photographs, it appears that you would benefit from a chin strengthening procedure - either an implant or semi-permanent filler such as Radiesse. It does not look like you have heaviness or excess volume, but you do have some looseness of the platysma muscle under your chin. This can be improved with a small procedure called a submentoplasty where the muscle is tightened directly under the chin.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction +/- chin implant

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you may be a good candidate for neck liposuction.  A chin implant may also give added benefit.

Sam Naficy, MD

Unhappy neck

+1

You have a face with a convex profile, a feminine look overall. Though others would suggest a chin implant, you can have improvements with liposuction alone, especially while young with good elastic skin.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Liposuction and chin augmentation

+1
Liposuction and chin augmentation would be the best answer for you. Your chin is slightly receding and a small implant with liposuction of the neck would provide a very aesthetically pleasing profile. You have a nice nose and the augmentation of the chin and neck liposuction will provide an improved angle which would help harmonize your features. I perform the procedure through a very small incision under the chin and do the liposuction and implant from that incision. The procedure is very well tolerated, with minimal discomfort and recovery time. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Liposuction of the neck together with a small chin implant work very well.

+1

Hi.

Sometimes the fullness in the neck is not due to excess localized fat, and that is why you need a good physical exam.  But just going by your pictures, you are an ideal candidate for liposuction of the neck (some people call it chin liposuction).  This will give you a right angle under your chin.  And a small anatomical chin implant would enhance the result even more.  These procedures are simple and safe with a really quick recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Neck rejuvenation

+1

From your photos, it looks like you have a small amount of fat of your neck that can be removed with liposuction. More importantly, your chin is small and this is making your neck look the way it does. I would recommend placement of a small chin implant which will balance out the lower third of your face and make a more pleasing neck angle. I routinely perform these surgeries and would be happy to see you in my office for a free consultation. call 212-289-1851 to schedule your consultation. You can also see more information on my website at drschulmanplasticsurgery.com

Matthew Schulman, MD