How Can My Crepey Skin Be Fixed Without Worsening My Acne And Dermatitis? (photo)

I am 30 years old and have had this worsening 'crepey' skin all over my face since the age of 27. I believe it to be damage from benzyl peroxide and sun. Is there anything I can do? I have tried microdermabrasion, LED light therapy, RetinA/Renova, Glycolic Acid products, and numerous lotions etc. Everything seems to exacerbate the crepeyness and my acne/dermatisis. My skin does not seem to recover well and I am hesitant to try ablative type techniques. Any advice would be dearly appreciated.

Fixing Crepeyness From Sun Damage

+1

Although there are ablative laser treatments, there are also non-ablative lasers as well.  You will need to get your acne under control with a laser system like Spectra. During this procedure, a lotion is applied to your face which penetrates the pores. So when the laser is applied, it causes a chemical reaction that clears out the blockages causing the acne. The Fraxel Dual laser uses a couple of wavelengths that can actually stimulate the production of new collagen fibers beneath the surface to address fine wrinkles, as well as to improve the tone and texture of your skin. The results are far more predictable than the treatment options you mentioned. Here is a video of a patient who underwent Spectra and Fraxel Dual. The Fraxel Dual in this case was for her acne scars. But it did improve the overall appearance of her skin to the point where she was happy and was receiving compliments from other people

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Sun damaged skin

+1

Dear patient, it is essential that you first get your acne under control. Judging by the picture you have provided, the best option for you would be erbium laser resurfacing. Good luck

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

How to fix "crepey" skin from sun damage

+1

One of the most effective (and least expensive) ways to reverse the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: tretinoin cream and 4% hydroquinone. I recommend you use the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten crepey skin that is due to chronic sun exposure.Tretinoin cream promotes new collagen production and increases the numbers of newer, healthier cells in the skin. Tretinoin cream is also able to smooth rough skin and reduce mottled hyperpigmentation and it will help your acne as well.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon