What is Wrong with my Eyes, They've Started Drooping? (photo)

Over the last few months, I've developed this odd drooping on my left eyelid, and a fold in my right. This seems to be most prominent in the evenings, and looks better when I'm well rested. I'm in my early 20's and can tell that this is quite a recent development. Not sure if it's relevant, but I have also started getting bad double and blurry vision and muscle weakness. What is wrong with my eyes? Is this ptosis? How can it be fixed? Thanks very much.

Eyelid ptosis asymmetry

+1

You certainly do have ptosis which is asymmetric in nature [right is actually worse than the left eyelid], which has made the right upper eyelid have an added fold.

It is unusual for a young person to develop such a problem unless they have been wearing contact lenses for a couple of decades. Your complaints of double vision and muscle weakness is consistent with a condition dubbed Myasthenia Gravis. This can be ocular in nature, or a systemic problem and both a neuroophthalmologist or a neurologist can be helpful in assessing the disease. If this can be ruled out, then ptosis surgery can be beneficial for you.

But you should seek a neurological evaluation relatively soon.

Best wishes

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+1

You should see a neurologist before considering any repair to rule out a neurologic cause of  your droopy eyelids particularly myasthenia gravis. From the photo it would appear as if you have ptosis of both upper eyelids.  After all neurologic causes are considered, you should consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for surgical repair.

Perry F. Garber, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drooping eye? First things first.

+1

Hello Lawgirl_x

As you are a young woman with what sounds like gradual onset of this droopy eyelid (a condition called ptosis) you need to rule out medical causes of this as opposed to mechanical.  Go see and ophthalmologist or neuroophthalmologist first.  Please don't delay this or skip this step.  

If you're good medically you can have this repaired with a surgery that is relatively by on of two ways.

No external excision (Putterman procedure) to raise the eyelid about 1 to 3 mm

Or, external approach with a blepharoplasty incision to advance or plicate (google it) your levator muscle.  You'll heal in about 7 to 9 days.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis or droopy eyes

+1

Your pictures indicate that you have eyelid ptosis. this can have medical, genetic, and structural causes. You will need to be carefully evaluated by an ophthalmologist, prior to considering surgical repair.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Droopy eyelids, blurry vision and double vision

+1

You have ptosis of the upper eyelids but given the other constellation of symptoms you describe, you may have a systemic illness that needs to be evaluated.  You should start by seeing an ophthalmologist and if subspecialists are available to you- an neuro-ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelids and Double Vision

+1

Dear Lawgirl_X,   The condition you describe appears not to be a cosmetic issue but a medical issue.  The early onset of your problems-in your 20's-, combined with blurred, double vision and muscle weakness are symptoms of perhaps a larger issue such as myasthenia gravis and need to be addressed by a neurologist and an ophthalmologist.  Please contact your primary care physician who can direct you to the appropriate specialist.  I wish you the best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

The droopy eyelids are consistent with ptosis.

+1

However, the other symptoms together with the weakness and double vision are suggestive of a condition called myasthenia gravis.  I recommend that you contact your primary care physician for a referral to a neurologist.  A consultation with a neuro-ophthalmologist may also be appropriate.  However, since this is a systemic condition, starting with the neurologist is most appropriate.

Droopy eyes and double vision

+1

It appears that you have an acquired ptosis of the right upper lid.  This is somewhat unusual in your age group and, coupled with the double vision symptoms, do make one consider the possibility of a neurologic etiology.  Yes, the ptosis can be fixed once a neurologic disorder is excluded..  Consider consulting a member of ASOPRS or a neuro-ophthalmologist for further evaluation.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drooping eyes

+1

what you are describing is alarming and is suggestive of a progressive neurologic disease such as Myasthenia Gravis or Multiple Sclerosis. You need immediate evaluation by a neurologist and an opthalmologist

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon