I'm 15 yrs old and my eyelids are asymmetrical. What is Wrong with my Eyelids? (photo)

my eyelids have been slightly assymetrical since I was young young. I am only 15 now , but my eyelids are now ,ever so asymmetrical , and they are really getting me down. I plan to have cosmetic surgery in the future , but can somebody please tell me what Is wrong with my eyelids and the surgery I might need , and how much it would cost (uk) :) thankyou

Minor asymmetry of the eyelids should be left alone.

+1

I've seen this photograph several times already. Minor asymmetry does exist but I think is unwarranted for surgical correction based on the picture that I see.

Asymmetric Eyelids

+1

Thank you for your photos.  It is difficult to discuss all the possibilities such globe/orbit position without an examination. Based on the photo your left upper eyelid is lower than your right.  This is call ptosis.  This can be correction if it is found to be only a cosmetic issue when you are older.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

What is Wrong with my Eyelids? (photo)

+1

Hi lmitzy and thanks for your question.

You have a droopy left upper eyelid. This condition is called Eyelid Ptosis ( pronounced (TOE SIS). It is due to weakening of the muscle that opens your upper eyelid. It is common to have only one eyelid affected. The reason your left eyebrow is higher than the right is because when you have a droopy eyelid the amount of light that gets into your eye is reduced. Your brain does not like this and it tells the forehead muscle to work harder to lift the eyebrow and indirectly lift the upper eyelid to increase the light that comes in. As you get older this will get worse.

It is not considered Cosmetic Surgery and you can have this at your age should you wish. Try and see a Plastic Surgeon who specialised in Eyelid Surgery.

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

It appears that you have left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy upper eyelid) with compensatory elevation of the left brow.  This is most evident in photo 4.  You may benefit from eyelid ptosis surgery. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric eyebrows.

+1

Almost everyone has some degree of asymmetry in their face and eyebrows. You need no treatment for this since you are the only one who notices this. Don't let anyone talk you into surgery.

You have subtle bilateral upper eyelid ptosis which is more marked on the left side.

+1

It is important to understand that our brains compensate for upper eyelid ptosis by raising the eyebrows.  Your left brow looks a bit higher than the right side.  I suspect that on examination and testing, if the left upper eyelid were to be stimulated to open,  the right upper eyelid would relax.  Correct this subtle ptosis on both sides should allow the brows to relax a bit which will help make your subbrow area more full.  Now here is my warning to you.  I don't think you can get this work done in the UK using the NHS.  It is very easy to have a bad outcome.  Right now you have an issue that you notice in photos but it is truly subtle.  It is better to have this slight asymmetry and understand why you have it than to have a bad surgery with an outcome that you will regret for the rest of your life.

Asymmetric eyelids

+1

It would be helpful to examine your eyes in person to determine what might be the cause of your issue, but in some of your pictures, it appears that one of your eyebrows is a little higher than the other.  I can't tell if this is the case with your eyebrows relaxed and/or when you are raising them.  A higher brow can be the cause of the eyelids being asymmetric.  While I wouldn't necessarily recommend any treatment at your age of 15, it's possible that something like Botox could help with the asymmetry.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon