12 days post op, What is Wrong with my Chin? (photo)

I had an implant 12 days ago orally and im totally unhappy with the result so far! I know its very early to tell about results and that there are still swelling but i dont think there will be dramatic changes of the jaw transition after its completely healed in. The transition is uneven and it looks like there is a hole on my left side! What went wrong? Is the implant too big or is it crooked?

Irregular Jawline Due To Chin Implant Malposition??

+2

While there is still swelling present, the notch on the left side of the chin will not likely improve. Its presense suggests an asymmetry of the chin implant position with the left wing of the implant being too high. Such asymmetries are more likely through an intraoral approach where, unless the implant is secured into position by screw fixation, is at greater risk of a superior malpositioning/rotation.

Chin implant recovery

+2

You are correct that at 12 days after your chin augmentation, that there still is some swelling involved with your appearance.  It definitely will take more time to see your final result.  Knowing the type of implant and the size used would be helpful to answer your question.  An examination would also be needed to see if the implant is in the correct position.  I would recommend contacting your surgeon so that you can discuss your issue and be evaluated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with chin implant

+1

Although it is early post op, I think you should take this issue up with your surgeon. Unless there is exceptional swelling, it looks like the implant ( if it was silicon)  may be folded under itself  on the left side or was placed to the right of center. If it was not a silicon implant and was placed as two separate pieces, the left side could have malpositioned.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is Wrong with my Chin?

+1

The appearance does look odd, but I am not sure it is the implant.  Preoperative photos would give a better idea of whether the junction you point out is the edge of the implant.   In the end, a physical exam can fairly easily ascertain implant position.  Sometimes, asymmetric swelling early in the postoperative period can create a strange appearance. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA