What is Wrong with my Ear? I Just Had Otoplasty Done 5 Days Ago.

I just had otoplasty done 5 days ago and I have this swelling in my conchal bowl. What is it and will it go away? Please see my profile picture to see what I am referring to. thanks in advance for any help!

Possible Hematoma or Seroma May Be Present; Speak With Your Surgeon Immediately

+1

It’s virtually impossible to know what’s happening with your ear without a physical examination, but several possibilities exist.  This abnormal chonchal bulge could represent swelling, infection, hematoma, seroma or excess redundant skin.

Under these circumstances, aspiration followed by a compression dressing, may be appropriate if swelling, hematoma or seroma are present.  In cases of infection aspiration followed by antibiotics would also be appropriate.

It’s important that you see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible so an appropriate treatment can be initiated.  Early intervention will hopefully avoid the development of secondary complications.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Go back to your surgeon

+1

You should go back and see your surgeon to find out what is going on. It could be an infection or fluid collection and will most likely heal itself, but your surgeon can make the appropriate diagnosis and treatment so please call them and schedule a follow up ASAP.

Babak Larian, MD

Otoplasty Post Op

+1

You should consult with your surgeon for an evaluation to determine that you are healing properly without complications.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fullness in concha may represent fluid or blood

+1

From your photos, it is clear that you have swelling which is normal. The fullness in the concha can't be seen nearly as distinctly but may also represent a collection of fluid or blood. You should contact your surgeon and have him/her assess the situation and treat it if appropriate. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Ottoplasty

+1

Prominent ears are due to

1: No antihelix

2: deep concha

3: combination of both

It seems you had combination of both and a crescent of conch was removed.

The concha now has either swelling or fluid or excess skin. All will resolve with time.

If there is a small fluid, blood it can be aspirated and pressure dressing applied.

See your surgeon for appropriate diagnosis and treatment ASAP.

Swelling after Otoplasty

+1

The swelling in the conchal bowl area of the ear in your picture is not uncommon after this procedure.  Have your surgeon evaluate it to make sure its not a fluid collection.  Most likely this represents some skin swelling after the conchal bowl was resected and set back in place.  The skin will shrink into the reduced space over weeks to months and look normal.  Hope this was helpful.

Dr. D

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conchal bowl swelling 5 days after otoplasty

+1

The conchal bowl swelling seen on your photo could be from a fluid collection under the skin (hematoma or seroma), infection, or from tissue swelling. It needs to be evaluated  by your surgeon as soon as possible to get a better idea of what the cause is and get treatment started.

Fluid collections can be failry easily treated by draining the fluid out and possibly placing a temporary bolster dressing to seat the skin back down to the ear cartilage to make sure the fluid doesn't come back.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Minor Otoplasty Complication

+1

Regarding: "What is Wrong with my Ear? I Just Had Otoplasty Done 5 Days Ago.

I just had Otoplasty done 5 days ago and I have this swelling in my conchal bowl. What is it and will it go away? Please see my profile picture to see what I am referring to. thanks in advance for any help!"

From your photograph it looks as if  you have a small amount of fluid lifting the skin off the cartilage framework. Nothing to worry about. See your surgeon as soon as possible and allow him to draw this fluid out and allow the skin to go back in contact with the underlying cartilage to allow it to heal properly.

Dr. Peter Aldea

You should have your surgeon examine you as soon as possible after your Otoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed the photo of your left ear:

The swelling in your conchal bowl could represent a collection of fluid, or just excessive swelling or possibly infection. You should show these concerns to your surgeon as soon as possible, since an un-treated collection or infection could compromise your final cosmetic outcome.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon