Drainage Tube Fell out 3 Days After Breast Reduction

Is something wrong when your drainage tube falls out three days after a breast reduction?

+1

Although many physicians do not drain breast reductions the inadvertent loss of a drainage tube by the third day will usually not cause any effect in the long term result.  This has happened to many patients and surgeons with no consequences.

Drains and Breast Reduction?

+1

Inadvertent drain removal will not necessarily require any intervention or cause any adverse affects. Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is indicated.

Drain fell out

+1

There is always a risk that a drain fell out on its own, this could possibly increase your risk for a seroma but I would just keep an eye on it with your surgeon.

Breast reduciton drainage tuibe

+1

The use of drainage tubes in breast reduction is somewhat controsversial. I frequently remove these at the first visit without any problem. Notify your surgeon, but it is likely he/she will do nothing other than observe.

Drain tubes seldom indicated in breast reduction

+1

Having been in practice very many years we have seen a gradual shift away from drains after breast reduction. Perhaps fifteen years ago we used an overnight drain that we removed with the the first dressing. Over the past ten years we have not placed drain tubes in our breast reduction patients and both we and the patients have been happier. If your drain fell out after three days you should have no problems. Check with your surgeon to make sure that the complete drain and any drain suture is out as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Drainage tubes after breast reduction

+1

Most doctors do not use drains at all for their breast reductions in our community.

However, it is always best to keep your surgeon posted immediately whenever a question arises.  Only he knows exactly what happened during your surgery.  there may have been a very good reason to place the drains, and you might need drainage of fluid, monitoring for infection, etc.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Don't worry

+1

Drainage tubes are not always used for breast reduction and often are removed in 1-3 days anyway, so if a tube came out on its own it is not a serious problem.  Typically, the tube is held in with a stitch to prevent it from "falling out", but occasionally the stitch can break.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Drainage Tube and Breast Reduction

+1

Yes, something is wrong, your surgeon should have sewn the drains in better.  The reality is that some people drain some don't.  I drained breast reductions when I started in practice because that's how I was trained.  Then I read that Dr. Elizabeth Hall-Findley, who developed the breast reduction that I do, no longer puts drains in.  So I stopped putting drains.  Things went well but then one of my patients got seromas and I had to take her back to the OR for a correction.

The reality is you'll be fine.  You can't put a drain back in.  If a problem develops then your surgeon will correct it.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and drainage tubes

+1

I would not worry about the drainage tube falling out. I personally never used or use drainage tubes for breast reductions, augmentations or lifts. I would let your surgeon know about it though. Good luck with your healing.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Early accidental drain removal after breast reduction

+1

Considering that I stopped using drains for breast reductions several years without issues, I wouldn't worry if your fell out at 3 days.  But this is something to address only with the doctor that put them in!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS