Wrinkles and Pits on Skin After Laser Hair Removal Treatment

I have a skin type of 3 and had a single laser hair removal treatment of the whole face with Alexandrite 755 laser. After that I notice small pits in some places on my forehead and some wrinkling on my cheeks which was not present earlier. Is this permanent and could this have been avoided by using a different laser?

Laser hair removal and skin surface changes

+1

Normally there is no surface change after laser hair removal. What's strange is that you only mention these pits but don't mention any problems during the treatment or immediately after such as blisters or scabs.  Pits shouldn't occur from "nothing" and possibly you are looking at a discoloration which is common and temporary but no true depression? See your doctor.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/laser-hair-removal/index.html

Skin wrinkling and pits after laser hair removal

+1

Dear Jasmine,

As the other physicians mentioned, any laser can cause scarring, even in the best of hands.  Some patients notice skin changes as you mentioned, thinking they are from the laser.  That is why I always take pictures before the treatment.  I find people pay much closer attention to their skin after a treatment, and often, when we look at the "before" photos, those concerns were always present.  In either case, I would encourage you to discuss the changes you've noticed with whomever did your treatment.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scarring From Laser Hair Removal

+1

Fortunately, scarring is quite uncommon with laser hair removal procedures. Potential risks of laser hair removal include temporary or permanent hypo-pigmentation or hyper-pigmentation. This can occur even when optimal laser treatment parameters are used. Blisters, scars, and ulcers are all possible complications but are typically seen shortly after the treatment. Unless you has blisters or scabs almost immediately after your laser hair removal treatment, it is unlikely that you have pits or wrinkles resulting from laser treatment.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/laser-hair-removal/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal Side Effects

+1

It is important to know what happened soon after the laser treatment in order to determine whether your issues were caused by the laser procedure.  If pits or scars are caused by a laser, there is almost always a wound (scab, crust, open area) shortly after the treatment.  The wound could turn into a pit or scar in some cases.  Likewise injury that would be quite obvious could change the texture of the skin, such as wrinkling.  If you did not have a serious burn or wound post laser, then perhaps the small pits/wrinkling could be due to some other cause.  For example, an allergic reaction to a cream or other facial product could look like wrinkling of the cheek.

I recommend you see the physician in whose office you were treated to evaluate the skin lesions as soon as possible.

Hope that helps!

Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon