Are Wrinkles and Lumps Normal After Lipo?

I had lipo 6 months ago. I have excess skin (which looks like a fat roll) above my belly button. Below my belly button my skin is tight but, it is wrinkled and I have lumps. Im not happy with the appearence of my tummy. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

Correction of complications after liposuction.

+2

Hi.

The abdomen is a tricky area for liposuction and it has to be done perfectly.  You may have two problems.  Perhaps you were not a good candidate for liposuction and really needed a tummy tuck.  And the lumps and wrinkles suggest poor technique.  But I am pretty sure that you can be helped by a revision.  

Excess skin and wrinkles after liposuction

+1

Preoperatively, if there is inelastic skin noticed, than the patient is told that a skin resection abdominoplasty may be needed. Possibly, however, the roll over the belly button may be fat that was not aspirated sufficiently and when the fat below and the sides of the umbilicus is removed, the fat above can push around and hang over. You should see your surgeon to have them evaluate what you need. If there is excess fat then liposuction can be done in a very small or localized way and Thermage external radiofrequency treatment may improve the wrinkled skin. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon, if you haven't already, to determine if an abdominoplasty is in order.

Ronald Shelton, MD

More people need a tummy tuck than liposuction

+1

I have seen adds from dermatologists that say that 90% of people can have liposuction (laser especially) and avoid a tummy tuck.  I believe this is a huge disservice to patients and what we are seeing now is a growing number of people just like you who were "sold" on this concept only to be left with a problem that can only be solved by getting the tummy tuck you needed in the first place.

Excess and lax skin WILL NOT be resolved by any kind of liposuction, laser or otherwise.  A skin excision procdure like a tummy tuck is the only way to get the tight flat abdomen you were hoping to have.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Unhappy after abdominal liposuction

+1

Wrinkles and irregularities after liposuction can develop.  Sometimes the irregularities can be corrected with massage only and still others may need a revision. If the skin is wrinkling, and loose, you may need a skin excision procedure.

Lumps and loose skin after lipo are not normal

+1

From your descrition it sounds like a tummy tuck should have been considered. It is so tempting to choose the quick and easy liposuction option over the more invasive tummy tuck procedure, but they aren't interchangeable. I don't know what version of lipo you had, but I am starting to see a lot of patients in your situation, most of whom were offered a laser lipo procedure with promises that it would tighten the skin and avoid the need for a tummy tuck. Sorry you are in that situation but more lipo seems unlikely to help.

Richard Baxter, MD

Loose skin after liposuction

+1

Yes, you may need a tummy tuck. Liposuction only removes excess fat. It does little to eliminate redundant skin. At 6 months the vast majority of the skin tightening and scar tissue should be stable ( not truly complete until 2 years).