Wrinkles Around Eyes

Without having surgery, which one of these 2 eye wrinkle treatments gives the best results? I want to tighten the skin and get rid of the wrinkles around my eyes.

There are different kind of chemical peels and different types of Fraxel

+4

There are many kinds of chemical peels, starting with a fairly superficial peels done by aestheticians, and up to medium and deep peels done by a surgeon. The deeper the peel, the better your result will likely to be in terms of tightening and wrinkle improvement, but you are also likely to experience longer downtime, and higher risk of pigmentation abnormalities: hyper- or hypopigmentation.

The same could be said about laser treatments. You can have a fairly superficial laser treatment, like Fraxel Re:store, with not much downtime, but not much in terms of results either. That is why you need several of these treatments, usually around 5.

Fraxel Re:pair is a different laser - fractional CO2 laser. It will likely give you much better results of tightening and wrinkle reduction, and you will need only one treatment for similar results. Fractional CO2 lasers, like Fraxel Re:pair or Active FX are currently the gold standard for treatment of eyelid area wrinkles and tightening.

Neither optimal for "crow's feet" but both good for skin toning

+4

It depends upon what you are treating. Generalized skin laxity can be improved with either Fraxel or a TCA chemical peel, with about the same down time and risk profile in my opinion. The difference is that Fraxel is a lot more expensive. However, if you are concerned about crow's feet, you need to understand that these are what are called "dynamic" wrinkles, because they are related to hyperactivity of the muscle in that area. Skin treatments have a minimal effect on that because the cause is under the skin. Botox is best there.

Richard Baxter, MD

Eye wrinkles

+3

Treating lines around the eyes are best approached with multiple modalities. Botox can relax the muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles. Chemical peels of lasers can build collagen to fill in the static wrinkles. Topical products with antioxidants, vitamin K and moisturizing ingredients such as polyhydroxyacids can help maintain the results follwing procedures. And of course, do not forget UV blocking sunglasses and sunscreens with zinc oxide to block out the UVA rays that caused most of the damage in the first place!

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Periorbital Wrinkles: Improving Wrinkles Around the Eyes

+2

Periorbital wrinkles can be either dynamic or static, resulting from overactivity of eyelid muscles or loss of collagen support within the skin.

In most cases, periorbital wrinkles should be managed with a combination of Botox and improvement in wrinkling.

Second stage improvement should be with chemical peels, especially TCA peels, to improve skin quality.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Fraxel is likely best

+2
Fraxel is expected to produce better tightening than a chemical peel, as the peels around the eyes should not be too strong . Superficial peels - which only exfoliate - would definitely not induce any tightening.  

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel re:pair and Chemical Peels can be effective.

+2

Fractionated CO2 lasers such as Fraxel re:pair as well as deeper chemical peels such as modified phenol can be used for re-surfacing and tightening of the skin around the eyes. Recovery (about 1 week) is similar for both procedures. Post-procedure redness/pinkness can persist for several weeks. For best results, such laser or chemical resurfacing are best used in combination with Botox (i.e. 2-4 weeks after Botox injections).

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel improves lines around the eyes

+2

I would recommend Fraxel to help the lines around the eyes. I would also start you on tretinoin to help stimulate collagen formation and to compliment the collagen productions that Fraxel is producing. You will probably need 5-6 treatments. Also consider botox to diminish the muscle activity that continues to produce more lines.

Last but not least, don't forget to wear sunscreen and sun glasses to prevent further damage.

Brenda Dintiman, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Both chemical peel and Fraxel are effective

+2

L.Stark,

Both chemical peels and Fraxel are effective in treating wrinkles around the eyes. Without a picture of your specific situation it is hard to give you specific advice on which treatment would be best for you. It is best to go to a surgeon who offers both treatments. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

CO2 Resurfacing is best for eye wrinkles

+2

The amount of tightening I have seen after fractional CO2 resurfacing is quite impressive. It is the only thing I have seen that really lifts and tightens both upper and lower eyelids without cutting. It also improves crows feet BETTER than surgery. The best options are Fraxel Repair and Active FX. Fraxel Restore improves texture and some fine lines, but is not an alternative to traditional eyelid surgery. Be advised, however, that fractional CO2 requires about 7 days of downtime before you can wear makeup and another 3-4 weeks of redness after healing.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Lasers As Eye Wrinkle Treatments

+1
You will find that there are many alternatives to surgery when it comes to eye wrinkles. Lasers designed to treat wrinkles are always great to start with. Fractional wrinkle treatment lasers have minimal downtime and work great on lines around the eyes. Botox can also be used at the sides of the eyes and can be used in conjunction with laser treatments. And lastly, a great eye cream with Retinol and Peptides will help. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD