Do Nasolabial Folds Become More Prominent After Filler is Absorbed?

I am considering getting fillers for my nasolabial folds and is still doubtful. Will my folds become more prominent after the filler is absorbed?

After filler is absorbed, wrinkles do not become more prominent

+1

When fillers are injected, studies show that collagen synthesis takes place, meaning that your body makes new collagen. Although the amount of this natural collagen is small, when the filler is absorbed, this collagen remains. In other words, when the filler is gone, the wrinkles do not get worse, in fact the may be slightly less deep due to new collagen deposition.

Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my nasolabial folds get worse after filler is gone

+1

No, but over time as you age, they may deepen. Actually if you stay on top of your use of fillers and get top offs as your surgeon recommends, some of the fillers actually stimulate collagen growth over time.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for nasolabial folds

+1

Temporary hyaluronic acid fillers for the nasolabial folds should not result in an increase in wrinkling once they go away.

However, the aging process continues unabated. Many patients are not aware of this aging because they are having the areas filled, usually with gradually increasing amounts of filler.

Should they decide to allow all the fillers to go away, the nasolabial folds will likely appear deeper than they remember, commensurate with the patient's aging process.

Brent Moelleken, MD