Is Radiesse the Only Choice for Me?

I am 66 years old and have been told that I am too old for Juvederm and Restylane to be used succesfully for nasolabial folds folds and marionette lines. I was told that Radiesse is a better alternative and would last for 18 months. Does this sound valid?

Filler alternatives for a 66 year old woman

+2

There are many options for fillers in the face.

Radiesse has the disadvantage of containing semipermanent material that is prone to granuloma formation. I would rather see patients use hyaluronic acids and do them more frequently if for some reason they insisted on temporary fillers.

Because of the lumpiness seen with Radiesse, we do not use it in our practice. Rather, for more permanent results we prefer the patient's own tissue, in the form of nontraumatized fat-fascial grafts (LiveFill). In most cases, these grafts are predictable and permanent.

However, at the age of 66, many patients have significant amounts of drooping of deep tissues and looseness of the skin that are best treated with a well performed facelift (not a minilift). This will typically give a far better, more natural, and longer lasting result than with fillers alone.

At 66 you will probably need surgery

+1

Of course, without a photo of you it is impossible to say, but under most circumstances, a 66 year old will have enough cheek laxity that fillers won't be enough. Generally, it would be better to have a properly done cheek and neck lift and se if you need any fillers after. In my practice, only about 10% still need any fillers.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Radiesse for a 66 year old.

+1

Any of the hyaluronic fillers or Radiesse will work to fill in nasolabial folds or marionette lines. We have used Radiess in our practice for over 6 years and have never seen a granuloma. It certainly is not prone to granuloma formation. It is a great filler as is Juvederm, Perlane, or Restylane among others. If you are a good candidate for Radiesse you are also a good candidate for the other fillers. The difference is that the hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, etc.) are a little smoother to inject and therefore are less likely to have lumps. Radiesse can be more lumpy, but with an experienced injector it is unlikely and massages into the tissue well. Radiesse does last longer than the other fillers, but I would tell you that 18 months is on the long side. I would tell you to expect 12-18 months.

However, at 66 you must have reasonable expectations for what a filler can do for you. You would probably benefit greatly from some surgical intervention. Certainly autologous fat transfer is one of those options.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon