Wound Separation a Little Ovber a Month Post BR? (photo)

I had a BBR on 6/18/12. I'm dealing with wound separations that 'seem' to be progressing positively.. though it's hard to tell and a lot like watching paint dry. The big one is at the T under my right breast. There is some yellow elastic stuff hanging from it and I am afraid to pull it out. What is that? Is it OK to pull it out? Also about 1/2 inch to the right of that is what appears to be another hole opening. Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Wound separation after breast reduction

+2

Wound separation at the T junction after breast reduction is a common problem because this area is closed with a certain degree of tension.  Your pictures are showing signs of healing.  The yellow tissue is fibrine and it should probably be excised to promote healing. You should go see your surgeon he could probably remove that for you and give you instructions for proper dressing changes.  It is sometimes a long process but those wounds should heal in a couple of weeks. 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Wound Separation after Breast Reduction

+2

You have provided excellent photographs that indicate that you are experiencing a relatively common problem following breast reduction surgery.  When a breast reduction is performed, the tissues are closed under some mild tension or stress in order to create a good shape for your reduced breast.  Even with a well-performed breast reduction, occasionally this will affect the blood flow to the most vulnerable area, which is the T-junction, and even to other areas of the incision.  Depending on the extent of wound separation, it will take several weeks for your body to gradually shrink and heal the wound.  This process ususally involves you performing daily bandage changes with antibiotic ointment or moist gauze.  Your wounds look very healthy and clean, and appear to be progressing appropriately.  The white tag is most likely some protein secreted from the wound, or possibly some devitalized skin or tissue that is still hanging on.

I highly recommend that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon, and have him/her guide you through treatment of this issue.  Once it is well healed, I think you will be very satisfied with your good results.

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

Wound opening after breast reduction

+1
This is very common especially in this location at the bottom of your incision. Wound care is essential. Your ps did a great job on the breast reduction, once this heals it will barely make a difference in the overall shape of your breasts. 
There are many new options for wound care to speed up healing, you should ask your ps for his/her favorite treatment. If you smoke stop ASAP, and review all medications with your ps because that could interfere with wound healing.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Wound after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your pictures, it appears that your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you and you should end up with quite an improvement in your situation.

The complication you are experiencing does happen (related to blood flow/tension in the area) and tends to go on to heal without long-term sequelae, except the possible need for scar revision in the future. At your stage of healing, sometimes the area opens further before it continues to close…

I would suggest continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Also make sure to concentrate on a healthy, high-protein diet.

Wound Separation a Little Ovber a Month Post BR? (

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Always best to be treat by your surgeon. Never self treat. Continue excellent wound care.